Do You Bi-Wire?! Is there a benefit?!

lboogie76

First off, I never stated that the article was to be considered "The Gospel!" I do believe I stated that it was one of many opinions on the subject. I attached that particular article because it gave an easy to understand synopsis and explanation for those who may not have been familiar with the concept. I really believe that if you ask 100 people if there is a difference when bi-wiring your speakers... more than likely, 50 will say "yes" and 50 will say "no"! And isn't possible that it could depend on the type of speaker being bi-wired?! I really do believe that a blanket statement like, "It does nothing at all!" could be considered arrogant presumption?! Here's another question for the "it doesn't do anything" hardliners, why is it that most speaker manufacturers reccommend or at least have a diagram of a bi-wire configuration suggesting that it is a viable connection, in the owner's manual?! Klipsch, Paradigm, B&W, Dali, Focal/JM Lab, Monitor Audio, Polk Audio, PSB, Axiom, etc.....I can go on and on. And, if it's so ineffective, why does virtually every speaker cable manufacturer offer a bi-wire configured cable. Could it be that the cable and speaker manufacturers believe that the bi-wire configuration does have merit?! Please understand, I'm not trying to defend bi-wiring. I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the concept, good, bad and/or indifferent.

Regards!

Interesting read Bob.

I have to say that I had an experience where Andy would have definately heard a difference. I remembered reading that solid speaker cable is the way to go. I was skeptical but I had some wire and gave it a try. I used 12 gage romex wire. I removed the covering and used about 2 foot pieced between my amps and speakers (monoblocks right next to the speakers). I did not expect to hear anything. I was wrong. The top end was muffled. It was very noticable. I tried turning it up and no better. Definatelty a rather big difference. Just muffled and lack of upper detail. I have no idea why. I also need to say that I am very skeptical and I used to be an engineer so I don't believe in "magic electrons" or any other snake oil. I went back to my normal speaker wire, Kimber 4PR, and things were back to normal.

Before everyone says that I bought Kimber so I wanted to hear a difference, I didn't buy it. Ray Kimber gave it to my stepfather for me when he was doing a nightclub install and I have had it since about 1983. I use it because it is what I have lying around.

No doubt, a very educational and informative perspective on speaker wire tolerances!

Everything that was said holds water! But, I'm sure there is someone out there just as knowledgeable that can counter this opinion and sound just as credible!

I don't know what's worst, the speaker wire debate or the cd player debate[8-)]

Regards.

I guess it all depends on our equipment and speakers but here, I have my RF-7 bi-wired and use them like that but it took me all day going back and forth to hear any difference with 3 other people, we finally picked up on the bass being slightly wider sounding vs slightly forward bass sounding, being the slightly wider bass was biwired and the slightly forward slightly narrower bass was not being biwired. My other Klipsch speakers are single wire and I've left them that way as the benefits are very small gains and not as easily heard here. YMMV but it's how it is here