Traeger smokers

J.4knee

Love my Traeger, getting pretty good on ribs and butts, still working on brisket. Also cook brats, porkburgers and steaks on it all the time. Definitely upgrade to the themostat control instead of the three position switch, had problems while smoking with the three position switch while on the smoke setting where the fire would go out on a long smoke, now that I have the 225 degree thermostat, no problems at all.

That's interesting. I would have imagined the standard unit would offer thermostat control. It should, with an outfit and reputation like Traeger.

Thanks for the welcome. I did consider the 180 degree controller, but I got a deal too good to pass up on the smokering buying a 225 controller. And anymore as far as I know the only place you can get that controller is through "The Pellet Grill outlet" formerly the Traeger Outlet http://www.traegeroutlet.com/home

I figured since I bought my Traeger from an authorized dealer and have the 3 year warranty I didn't want to use the 180LV controller. And there arent too many instances where I myself smoke anything at that temp. Yes you would think they would put in the digital contoller on all models, I just have the base model Lil Tex, but I guess its another way to get you to upgrade and get a couple of more $$$ out of you.

I am actually very happy to read your assessment of the unit as you have what I am considering. So any input positive or negative is good for me. I am of course even happpier to see you love the unit. One of my employees just bought the Texaas grill and is having our shop over for a Q to celebrate so I RSVP'ed for that in record time. I've read the adds on the pellet grill outlet.com for the Lil' Tex and they claim you can do 2 20# tiurkeys on it but I am a bit skeptical of that claim. What in your experience is the max limit on what you can cook your Lil Tex? Again thanks for the review!!!!!

I've had a Lil Tex for about 5 months now. I use the thing almost every night. I've done everything from ribs, briskets and chicken to biscuits and a Costco take'n bake pizza. Last night I threw a rack of spare ribs on it and smoked them for six hours, turned out perfect. Its actually cheaper to run than my propane grill was. I can get a 20 lb bag of pellets for $10 and that usually will last about anywhere from 10-20 hrs of cooking time depending on the setting.

I think someone mentioned that a drawback is that you can't use a water pan with it. You could always put one on the grill itself if you want more humidity, but I've found you don't need one. The pellets contain 10% water content which keeps the inside of the unit fairly humid. I've never had anything come off tasting too dry.

I get them from the guy in Camas, WA who I bought my Lil' Tex from. Fireman who sells the grills/pellets out of his garage. He buys direct from the Traeger factory in Wilsonville, OR. He generally sells them for $11 per bag, but knocks $1 off the price if you buy 10 or more.