RB-51s vs RB-61s for rears in a 7.1 set up?

plissken99

Are you happy with the sound of your current system? Do the 51's fill the rear of your room when they need to? Are you using the system for DVD, BluRay, music?

Can you audition them and take back if you do not hear a significant difference?

the RB61's may mount easier since the ports are in the front. RB51's need some space behind the cabinet but alas, aren't equipped with mounting inserts (I was always on engineering about the mounting points), so you'd end up putting them either on stands or shelves. RB61's can be hung flush to the wall (if they have the keyhole brackets)

If you're talking Surround Back speakers, there is so little information to them I can't see it making any *** difference! Cool

I listen to alot of Multi-Channel music which the settings in my Denon AVR let me matrix to my rear speakers in a 7.1 configuration and I really appreciate the quality in sound....Then again, I am using RB-75s in the rear. [Y] I admit it's overkill, but not in a bad kind of way. Hearing the trumpets coming from behind me in the opening of "Hotel California," (Eagles Farewell Tour) and the guitar licks shortly following from the Front Soundstage, as the surround experience begins is nothing short of sublime, imo.

That being said, Rear Surrounds is where you can scrimp, but if you already have the optimum Front Soundstage and can get rears at a discount (RB-81's?), why not get the best quality speakers for the back. My 2 cents.

Well, you guys talked me into it, no reason to not upgrade at that price. Plus we're about to move, and I do want to mount the rears flush on the wall in the next HT room. Sorry the RB 51's will go to my parents, they've been wanting a nice little stereo set up downstairs. :)

i thought you could mount the rb-51's flush on the wall because you will have the crossover set to 80hz? that's the info i received. i was told it wouldn't make a difference with that type of speaker. is that info wrong?

Well I just got the 61s, and already I feel better(the 51s always looked rather puny next to the rest of my speakers lol). However, they don't have the convenient mounting hole built into the back. I just wanted to know if it's safe to drill a hole toward the top of the speaker, about an inch above the label? Effectively mounting with 1 screw.