help me match-make - UPDATE: Match-made!

Sky Hits

Sky Hits,

The little Velodyne SPL800R (room corection) or Mini Vee 8 inch (no correction) really blends in nice. I also have a HGS 12 Series II with SMS controller (room correction) but I like the sound of the little 8 inch better. The small size is really handy also. The 12 inch goes a tad lower but overall the sound is heavy and dark rather than than musical. They all have 1200 watt amps so they can keep up with just about any loudspeaker. They really add the missing thump to the bottom end.

Thanx, Russ

Buckster: Indeed that's King Tubby: maker and user of fine audio wizardry. (For extra skankery, look for Joe Gibbs' productions, particularly his African Dub series.)

Russ: Thanks for the tips. Small and musical will do nicely in my fairly cozy listening room.

- Seth

I knew I've seen that picture before .................. Thanx.... very interesting website, Junior Marvin, Sly and Robbie, big names in the business. Very interesting the article on Wailers; Burning .................. that was my first encounter with Bob and the boyz, many people laughed at me when I bought it, but who's laughing now .................... "Get Up, Stand Up" ...........

Sky Hits and Oldbuckster, if you're not hip to the Trojan website, it's definitely worth checking out. A ton of oldies...

Trojan Records

Thanks Blvdre, while we're on the topic, I'd love to highlight two incredible reggae reissue labels out of the UK:

Blood and Fire

http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk/

and

Pressure Sounds

http://www.pressure.co.uk/

Both with excellent taste, excellent sound quality, excellent liner notes and packaging. They show tremendous respect for the original artists. And vinyl is always available.

- Seth

Yes G. Kennedy! I have the Cornel Campbell sung "King in my empire" in heavy rotation. Glad you chimed in! Also worthy of mention: the Hi-Fidelity Dub Sessions compilations from Chicago's Guidance Recordings label. I have a slab from volume three which includes the burner "Annanas" by Tosca (a project from one of the Kruder and Dorfmeister guys.)