Reconditioning KLF-10's

I bought these speakers about a year ago. They are the best I've ever had. They are however about 12 years old.

I've read plenty about re-doing or upgrading the crossovers, but in my situation since the sound is excellent, I will start from the outside and work in.

The finish needs to be redone. The most logical adivse (as far as I can tell) was from a guy that told me to use black viynal paint that you can buy in an auto parts store. He said that he had success with this and it seems to make sense to me.

Does anyone have better advise on the outside finish or the crossover?

post-31675-13819381921984_thumb.jpg

post-31675-13819393320468_thumb.jpg

I have a pair of 10's that I modified a couple years back. The outside of the cabinets were in good but not perfect condition.(black satin) With two children and a dog, I did not want to turn them into show pieces. I did upgrade parts in the crossover. I do not have the parts list anymore but can tell you what was replaced. I replaced all of the caps in the tweeter circuit as well as the resistor, and the coil in the woofer section. The replacment coil was rather large and is now mounted on the bottom of the cabinet. It is visible thru the port. While I did the crossover work, I made them bi-ampable. I used the existing terminal plate and just added two more connectors to it along with the reconfiguration of the internal wiring. I also applied several coats of a solution similar to "Dynamat" to the inside of the cabinet. This gives the inside of the cabinet a skin if you will. The last mod was to replace the existing foam inside the cabinet. I lined the entire back board with the waffle style foam that is frequently used ot pack products for shipping.

The result was good. The sound did seem clearer to me. Clearer and tighter I would say. And of course the satisfaction of a neat project.

Result # 2. After several years of listening to them the itch for more still remained. I have purchased a pair of 20's that I have yet to touch, but I will tell you that I do prefer the sound of stock 20's over my 10's. The 10's are currently in a bedroom but someday may become the rears in my ht.

All of the parts for the mods came from Parts Express. Good luck and enjoy!