Is This LP Safe To Play?

BLSamuel

Side 2 of this LP, Take-Offs And Put-Ons by George Carlin, has some nasty marks on it like the top layer of vinyl is missing? I'm skeptical of playing this with my Shure v15 type 5 MR especially since replacement styli don't seem to be made anymore and are pretty expen$ive when I have seen them on eBay. Or even my Shure M97HE AH (integrated adjustable headshell) once I get the turntable I'm going to put it in up and running... maybe an old ADC cartridge that I think I also have laying around somewhere as I wouldn't want to damage the M97HE either.

I've not seen anything like this but it doesn't look conducive to the health of one's stylus.

Is this safe to play?

TIA

Ben

post-26727-13819381942142_thumb.jpg

post-26727-13819393341536_thumb.jpg

I surely wouldn't play it on my nice turntable. I have a 2nd turntable with a cheapo stylus hooked up to my second phono input so I can play my less than clean records. Even so, I still might shy away from playing that George Carlin record of yours on that player. It shouldn't be too tough to track down an inexpensive replacement copy of the LP. Here you go:

http://www1.gemm.com/search/artist/George-Carlin/George--Carlin/T/

I'd be afraid of knocking the stylus tip right off the cantilever.

I was thinking it'd more rip it off the cantilever and maybe tear it off too? If I do ever play it I think it sould be with my 3rd cartridge in my secondary table... but should I feel the need to play it I'd be better off finding another copy.

Thaniks for the info! I don't think I'd ever seen anything like this in an album before.