Why is this not loud?

nolaklamonte

Guest srobak

Yep - I mentioned something along those lines. Not nearly as smart-alecky as one might think. Depending on where and how wired - the 301's could certainly be the culrpit, as they are thirsty beasts. That's why I suggested starting with just the mains and see how they do, and add speakers from there. *shrug*

I didn't mess with it last night. I should clarify though that the problem is there regardless of the media being used (DVD, Cable etc...) DVD is a little better, but we notice cable more since we watch that 90% of the time. PS both DVD & Cable are connected optically.

As for the settings, I have used the mic/ analyzer that came with the Yamaha to set up the system. I must say that it doesn't do a very good job. It gets confused as for as speaker size and frequency response. I had to manually adjust the system afterwards to correct. I don't own a DB(spl) meter so I have never done that for adjustment purposes. I do have the level on the center cranked up a bit.

I think this weekend I will hook up the speakers with a short run of wire to rule out any shorts in the wall.

Yep - I mentioned something along those lines. Not nearly as smart-alecky as one might think. Depending on where and how wired - the 301's could certainly be the culrpit, as they are thirsty beasts. That's why I suggested starting with just the mains and see how they do, and add speakers from there. *shrug*

Actually the 301's were added after the fact. When I decided to use the side axis. Yamaha has a feature that sends the voices through both the center and side axis. The sound didn't improve or degrade with or without the 301's. In fact the speakers have a driver on the rear as well as the front which actually lends it self well to use as a side axis speaker. I am not defending them, but I already owned the speakers (got them CHEAP on sale). I was actually just using them as indoor monitors for my 4 outdoor speakers (yes those are Klipsch).

Also, I disagree that they could pull more power from the rest of the system. The EMO amp is a true 7 channel amp with 7 independent modules for each channel and a HUGE transformer. They are gonna get 60 watts and that's it. I am not sure how they could get more power than the amp that they are connected to.

The Yamaha HTR 5890 is the same as I own, it should power those speakers with no problems, try setting your speakers to SMALL ...... The owners manual is a pain in the A$$, I find it hard to understand most of the time, but it is a good receiver, and should serve you for many years ........ did you try the automatic set-up feature? It will give you a starting point ...................

check to see if all the speakers are working.... See if you can hear if the horn and both woofers are moving. Do this by setting the volume you thing is comforable to put your ear close to, hide the remote from children, pets, wife, pranksters, and then go up and give it a hear. Do you hear the horn playing? then move on to the woofers, does one sound louder than the other? carefully place your finger and barely touch it, does the other woofer move as much?

• Moderators

"

Now here is the dilemma, voices are very hard to understand at reasonable listening levels. I tried to correct this by upgrading from the amp in my Yamaha Receiver to an external amp rated with a little more power and head room. I now use the receiver as a pre-amp and an EMO LPA-1 which is rated at 125W X 5 and 60W X 2 (for the side axis speakers, which do very little).

This change made the overall sound quality better, but did little for volume. In fact if anything, the volume level decreased some. I didn't opt for the 200W amp, considering that the Klipsch speakers are so efficeint (granted not the Reference Series but loud none the less)."

After reading this again, something was connected / setup wrong or not working from the start.

That Yamaha should have had plenty enough power to produce more volume than you needed.

When you used it as a pre-amp with a better amp the quality improved but not the volume, so what ever was not right on the initial setup is still causing your problem. Not much help, but you need to narrow it down to you find the problem.

If the problem is with both inputs Cable/TV and DVD/CD player then it's probably not either of them. If it was the Cable input it would play correctly for DVD/CD but it doesn't, so it's neither, it's somewhere else in the setup menu I would guess. Crossover points and things like small or large setting for the speakers will not make a big difference as far as the volume goes, and that problem has to be fixed before you worry about fine tuning and settings that couldn't effect you main problem.

• Moderators

Dtel you are a smart man. (smart enough to marry christy anyway). Maybe the yamaha is not functioning correctly. One easy way to tell is to borrow another pre-amp(known to be corect) and swap it in.

She is the only person who thinks I am smart, of course I have brainwashing her for 30 years with [bs] stories. [Y]

Hey man......This may be stupid but is your TV set to fixed out for volume?......Have you gone through all of the menu's of your DVD, BD or any other things connectedto make sure they are all set to the proper things they should be?......Are you speakers plugged into the right terminals for each speaker on the back of your amp and is the speaker wire plugged into the postive and negatives on both the amp and speakers? You should be getting booming sound out of your set up.

Also, what mode do you have set in your amp? I leave mine on a Cinema mode for cable and movies. If you don't have that mode set, or if it's in stereo or something you will not get your voices coming out of the center for cable.