Relationship of power handeling of individual drivers in Heresy I

This is kind of a loaded question(LOL).

October 2007 I purchased my first pair of beautiful Heresy I's (1978). In November I sent an e-mail to klipsch to find out about these outstanding speakers.

Mr. Colter replied to my e-mail With just about everything you coul want to know about heresy's. He also told me about the Klipsch community. By the way if you read this thank you again Mr. Colter.

In the compilation of info.; was an outline describing driver characteristics. It states that the woofer will handle 100 watts continuous, the midrange 30 watts continuous, and the tweeter 10 watts continuous. Now to the questions.

Does the autoformer distribute the wattage via its taps??? or is there a phisics law relating to how much power goes to each driver???

Is there a ratio of power distribution to the drivers??? How does all this add up to the whole speaker being abble to handle approx. 105 watts continuous with 500w peak???

Thanks in advance for any insite you can provide.

Mark

The midrange and the tweeter are attenuated in the crossover because they are more efficient than the woofer and would be too loud if allowed to operate at the same level. The taps on the autoformer in the crossover are connected to the mid and tweeter in such a way as to result in a balanced frequency response along with the proper power to each driver.

"Does the autoformer distribute the wattage via its taps??? or is there a phisics law relating to how much power goes to each driver???"

The balancing network seperates the music based on frequency. The balancing network does not use power as a factor in how this is done.

The autotransformer is an impedance converter. In the case of the T2A in your Heresy crossover, input is to the entire coil on taps 0 and 5 which are at the two ends of a coil. Taps 4, 3, 2 and 1 correspond to attenuation of 3, 6, 9 and 12 db. When we connect a driver to taps 0 and 4, for an attenuation of 3 db, what happens is that the impedance of the driver becomes effectively doubled as seen on the input side of the autotransformer. So, a 16 ohm driver becomes effectively a 32 ohm driver. For connection of the same driver to tap 0 and 3, we attenuate the driver 6 db effectively doubling again the impedance to 64 ohms as seen on the input side of the autotransformer. For 0 and 2, we have 9 db or 128 ohms. Doubling again at tap 1, we have 12 db or 256 ohms.

The power is not dissipated, it instead just stays in the amp as attenuation increases.

We can continue this with what is done with the Heresy type E crossover. Tap 3 of the autotransformer is used to attenuate the tweeter by 6 db. Making the 8 ohm tweeter appear as a 32 ohm driver. Tap 2 is used to attenuate the squawker by 9 db. Making the 16 ohm K-55V appear as a 128 ohm driver. This balances the output of those two drivers to match the woofer.

Bob Crites

The autotransformer is an impedance converter. In the case of the T2A in your Heresy crossover, input is to the entire coil on taps 0 and 5 which are at the two ends of a coil. Taps 4, 3, 2 and 1 correspond to attenuation of 3, 6, 9 and 12 db. When we connect a driver to taps 0 and 4, for an attenuation of 3 db, what happens is that the impedance of the driver becomes effectively doubled as seen on the input side of the autotransformer. So, a 16 ohm driver becomes effectively a 32 ohm driver. For connection of the same driver to tap 0 and 3, we attenuate the driver 6 db effectively doubling again the impedance to 64 ohms as seen on the input side of the autotransformer. For 0 and 2, we have 9 db or 128 ohms. Doubling again at tap 1, we have 12 db or 256 ohms.

The power is not dissipated, it instead just stays in the amp as attenuation increases.

We can continue this with what is done with the Heresy type E crossover. Tap 3 of the autotransformer is used to attenuate the tweeter by 6 db. Making the 8 ohm tweeter appear as a 32 ohm driver. Tap 2 is used to attenuate the squawker by 9 db. Making the 16 ohm K-55V appear as a 128 ohm driver. This balances the output of those two drivers to match the woofer.

Bob Crites

Thank you Bob, I think I am caching on. Let me know if I am on the right track.

By increasing the apparent resistance less power wil go to the mid than the woofer, and even less will go to the tweeter. However the mid and tweeter are more efficient so they need to be toned down a bit.(I think...)