I need advice on subwoofers

BETSY WILLIAMS

I would like to know what a good sub would be good for both home theater and music. I'm not able to listen to any variety of subs because of lack of dealers in my area. The only Klipsch dealer in the area doesn't have a sub i can listen to. I would like to spend no more than $1,000 on one. I would like to stick with Klipsch. Thank You

------------------

BETSY WILLIAMS

Hi!

For $1,000 or possibly much less you have a large number of different choices. We could give you more helpful advice if we new what you have now (what kind of speakers, which amp or receiver, how many channels), what kind of music you listen to, how loudly you listen, what the room is like (big? small? solid? flexible sheetrock walls or plaster? sitting on concrete or a suspended floor?), and most importantly, what you're hoping to achive. Do you want to buy something that will play REALLY REALLY LOUD AND GO BOOM WITH FRIGHTENING INTENSITY but maybe isn't the last word in harmonic accuracy and bass extension, or are you looking for something that will be very tuneful and musical, but perhaps not as DYNAMIC or go as loud? Also, what would you find acceptable in terms of appearance? Do you need something fairly small, reasonably well finished and unobtrusive, or could you put up with what looked like a couple of 50 gallon drums made out of red cardboard sitting in the corner? The more you spend on fit and finish (in most cases) the less you're spending on sound.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

With all due respect to Ray's comment (and he is due a lot of it, for sure Smile.gif), if I may, I thought I'd add that you may not necessarily have to choose between "REALLY REALLY LOUD AND GO BOOM WITH FRIGHTENING INTENSITY" and "something that will be very tuneful and musical, but perhaps not as DYNAMIC or go as loud." You may find some subs that are able to do both pretty well... How well they do both is a matter of personal interpretation, I realize.

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug's right, of course, you may find a sub that does both BIG LOUD DYNAMIC SLAM SLAM BANG and tuneful, accurate music from the same box, especially when you start getting close to $1,000. What I was trying to say is if you have a tendency toward one extreme or the other, that might influence your choice. Comparing subwoofers in roughtly the same price category from, say, the Klipsch Reference line and the REL line, Klipsch leans more toward the dynamic and slam side, while REL leans more tuneful musical side. Not to say that the Klipsch is poor with music, or the REL has no dynamics, but their priorities are different.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Well said, Ray (or is it Right Said, Fred?), as always. It appeared to me that Ms. Betsy may be a bit of a subwoofer neophyte (and I could well be mistaken), and I just wanted to be certain she didn't feel that she could only have EITHER slam OR Finesse but not both in the same sub.

So, on with the recommendations!

Doug

------------------

My System

well If she wants a KLIPSCH sub for under $1000, the choices are really limited, probably to the Klipsch KSW series. Unless she wanted to spend a few extra hundred and get the reference series subs. Like the RSW 12....

Is their really any other choice's for her critiria?

Monty

A Klipsch sub $1000 and under good s\for HT and music!?

Not much,unless you could get a RSW12 for under $1000.

I would look for a Velodyne SPL12,can be found under one grand and performs like a true champ.Hits low and hard and real good snap for music.

Another good unit is the Sunfire Mark II also should be found around one grand and has plenty of deep bass output.

If space and size is not a big problem then the SVS CS Plus and a Samson amp should take you all the way to bass heaven.Also around a grand.

What else?

Paradigm 2200 (around $600 and less)is another good sub.Plenty of output,deep bass and low price.

Many more good subs out there just the above four stand out in my view from the rest.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Actually I was thinking about one for myself. I really wanted to know about M&K given "money no object". Which of course is not the case, but I am willing to spend approx 1300 or so and thought the M&K MX150THX with its push/pull design might be good for music as well as HT.

Sorry

Missed M&K subwoofers.

Yes M&K subs are all about tight and non overblown sub bass.Great choice for music and good for HT.

Try and get two VX100's or a single MX300.Very tight and musical.Awesome match for small monitor speakers.

Not so great for floor standing speakers.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

WHY not with large speakers like the KLF20 and 30?Simple the large Klipsch KLF and R series need a sub with power down to 20Hz and below to be worthy.

The larger Klipsch do very well on their own and dont need subs above 30-35Hz.And most M&K besides the 400 and 350THX simply dont provide the goods down very low.Yes they are clean as clean as clean can be but output is a must with such large speakers.With your speakers you would be best off with a SVS Ultra,Sunfire Signature,Revel B15 or HGS 15 or 18.These have true sub 30Hz power,power to keep up where you will say TOO MUCH DAMIT.

At least that is how I match subs and speakers.The sub section MUST keep up down very low and extend the response in a BIG way ALL the way down.

You may be very happy with even a smaller M&K,try it if you can.Why not?

I tried MANY subs and only found a few worthy contenders.The best buy for your dollar would be a SVS Ultra no doubt.BIG accurate sub bass down to below 16Hz!And the price is right

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Yes, I have definitly considered SVS! I am just curious about set up with a cylinder or a forward firing sub such as M&K, REF Klipsch et. al.. The reason I ask this is that my room is square, yes square! Curtains on the four floor to cieling windows in the 19 X 19 room help but sub placement can be critical. Will the SVS be easer, harder or the same to set up properly compared to a forward firing sub?

Subs with BIG output and small footprint are often easy to position.The SVS woofer fires down and the floor bass boost is augmented greatly.

The small footprint will let you position this barrel of bass where bass is best.Often along the wall.

I like my SUnfire subs because they have BIG output and take almost no space.And even four units along the front wall dont take half the room.And the bass is huge when called for.

I tried two Ultras and all I can say is...WOW the bass was physical to the extreme.And I did not even optimise the sub placement too much(put them where the SUnfires were)and voila.Big bass,and defined bass may I add(if good quality power amp is used and sub is crossed over right...err phase in check too).

TheEAR(s) Now theears