The Importance of Dynamics

Macallan

I stopped by a Tweeter yesterday to directly compare Klipsch to Martin Logan since Tweeter sells Klipsch again. I have listened to the Martin Logan Vantages before and have been somewhat impressed with the way they handle vocals. I listed to a few Jack Johnson tracks and Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here. I directly compared the RF-63 to the Vantage and was surprised at the differences.

First up were the Vantages, On WYWH they started off very good with the acoustic guitar solo sounding very real, lots of detail, heard some things I had not before, then the vocals came in and there is a smoothness to the Logans that is unique. The singer sounded like he was behind the panels a few feet. Then when the drums came in things went south. They really fell apart during this loud passage, which could be due to the amp being inadequate but overall they did not hold up to what I know my RF-7s could do.

Next I listened to the RF-63 on WYWH. The acoustic solo also sounded great but with a more pronounced top end. It is weird because the logans seem to have less treble extension yet you can hear more micro details in the music (the sound of fingers sliding on the fret board). When the vocals came in they were clearly much more forward, a few feet in front of the baffle instead of behind. Then when the drums came in they handled themselves better than the logans but still not as well as I think my RF-7s would.

Overall I now better understand what people mean about the importance of dynamics, this is what makes everything sound real and not like a reproduction. Secondly, I have heard from the Logan forums that the Vantages have much better midrange than the RF-7 but one could argue that they actually just have less treble and therefore hear more midrange because the overall volume has been increased. I have been thinking about getting some Logans for a while now but I think I may have changed my mind.

I've never much cared for Martin Logan's but I did love my Magnepan's. And as much as I did love the Maggies there are somethings that Klipsch do oh so well. A good audiophile friend was over recently and trying to best put my system into words, he said "Emotional, they (Klipsch) capture the emotion of the event. The subtle nuances of voice, guitar and drums have a live and emotional feel." I've heard that before about horns, but no one has ever pointed that fact out in my living room. Klipsch also have excellent dynamics at any volume level, something I could never say about any prior speaker I've owned.

I was skeptical of DBX Impact Restoration until I tried it. On the right material, it is incredible and jolts your gut like being there. It IS touchy and some control to eliminate impulse noises as from LP's would be nice...but when conditions are right and the material is right, it is kickin' on the K'horns and makes them do things I hadn't heard before.

Dave

"I was skeptical of DBX Impact Restoration until I tried it. On the right material, it is incredible and jolts your gut like being there. It IS touchy and some control to eliminate impulse noises as from LP's would be nice...but when conditions are right and the material is right, it is kickin' on the K'horns and makes them do things I hadn't heard before."

What???????????????

"I was skeptical of DBX Impact Restoration until I tried it. On the right material, it is incredible and jolts your gut like being there. It IS touchy and some control to eliminate impulse noises as from LP's would be nice...but when conditions are right and the material is right, it is kickin' on the K'horns and makes them do things I hadn't heard before."

What???????????????

I am assuming you are asking what it is. Impact Restoration is a "gimme" on later models DBX dynamic range enhancers, 1BX and later. I have a 4BX. I've been using these since they came out in 1976 or so and never listen without one. They are eschewed by many as "processing" but that is no more sensible to me than saying the same thing about RIAA. LP's are compressed. You have to.

Use of DBX requires practice and an understanding of just how wide the original dynamic range was to get the best results. I use just a tiny bit even on narrow range records and super audiophile pressings to eliminate groove noise during silence. On a good pressing, it simply disappears, just like digital. I like that.

Dave