EPICS vs. LEGEND?

DPonder

DPonder....I'd be interested in what your opinion of the epic's vs. legends, since you have them both in your listening room. I have 1995 CF-2's which I absolutely love. I have heard the KLF-20's, but only in a stereo store so there's no way I can make a fair comparison. The KLF-20's sound great, but the depth and soundstage of the epics are just awesome. Now I know this isn't a totally fair comparison because those KLF-20's weren't in my living room. My listening position is only nine feet from my CF-2's but on most material it sounds like the music is emanating from far behind the speakers, which I just love. I also have an Adcom 700, great player. Do you ever use the polarity switch? Later........

Just my personal opinion:

I never much cared for the Epics that I have heard, except for the 2's which I heard a couple of times and thought they sounded pretty nice.

I always wondered about that whole "Epic" epic; they did get a big publicity campaign when they were launched, and then in a few years -- poof! No more Epics. Killed the whole line. I suppose sales just weren't what klipsch had in mind. I imagine the "story behind the speaker" would be interesting.

------------------

JDMcCall

ROWOOO... I have done an A/B comparrison and the differences are clear. The EPICS are warmer sounding and seem to have a deeper response while the LEGENDS have a much brighter midrange and better detail. The EPICS have the NEO magnets wich make them automaticaly shielded where the LEGENDS give a hole new meaning to picture discoloration if there very close at all. So if you don't have a lot of room the LEGENDS can put you in a pinch if you have a widescreen TV. I just conducted an experement and aligned the CF3's about 11 ft. apart and the KLF20's about 9 ft. on the same plain. I had my brother bring his ONKYO TX8511 over and put some rca Y's in the ADCOM GCD700. So now each pair had its own power supply@100 watts a channel and the same source. We commpared the two by turning the speaker selections on and off and then we did the unthinkable...WE RAN THEM TOGETHER!! The imaging was great and they blended beautifly. I was supprised, I expected time delay or muddy and boomy sound. It was if it was one speaker that had that snappy midrange and wowing bass extension and accuracy. The SPL we achieved was I would call the THRESHOLD OF PAIN. You would have to really hear it to belive how well it sounded together. I would have never thought it would sound ao well. It changed my view. This is all just my side of it so if anyone has something to add or ask feel free.

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH KLF20

Interesting....maybe you have something there! That's an awful lot of speaker for one room though....Your description of the two side by side is exactely what I expected. My friend has some 1982 Hereseys which sound great, but would be way to bright, raspy, whatever you want to call it, for me. They are totally stock so I'm sure you could tone them down a little with some tweaks, but he's happy with them and that's all that counts. Now I'm not comparing the KLF 20's with Heresey models here, I'm just saying I sensed that same brightness factor, which I would find fatiging in extended listening periods. I find my Epic's extremely warm with no sense of listening fatigue. Obviously everyone has different opinions on what sounds (RIGHT), but for me I'd rather have warmth, depth, and overall presence, than a more up front, in your face slam. Later.....BY the way you never awnsered my question on the polarity swith on the GCD 700....

I tried to send an E-Mail but I think my account is on the fritz. I'll have my server work on it tomorrow. About the polarity switch...I don't use it much. Haven't seen a noticable difference in sound so I just leave it alone. If you have tried to E-Mail me let me know.