Please give me your opinions on my rear speaker placement options... I'm stumped

superedge88

I though that rear speakers were supposed to go behind you? If they went where the lamp is they would be right next to your head, not behind you at all.

Didn't you read my first post on this thread about surround speaker placement?!?! [;)] Just kiddin' ya, man.

In a 5.1 setup, the surround speakers should be placed just slightly behind the main listening area. In a 7.1 setup you add the speakers behind you on the back wall.

If you would place your speakers on your side walls, from your other pics it looks like your front speakers are very close to each other and the center speaker. What you'll end up with is a very cramped soundstage in the front of the room and a very wide soundstage for the surrounds. Is there any way you can move your front speakers farther apart from each other?

Guest srobak

Agreed with OT on the placement... either go along the floor with wire and up and over the archway back down to the floor and up the corner, or else take the wire all the way to the crown molding from the equip rack - maybe even behind it, and come down the corner. Otherwise you are looking at trying to get it into the kitchen, above the cupboard, but that location will block off a good portion of your couch from hearing it.

I though that rear speakers were supposed to go behind you? If they went where the lamp is they would be right next to your head, not behind you at all.

If you would place your speakers on your side walls, from your other pics it looks like your front speakers are very close to each other and the center speaker. What you'll end up with is a very cramped soundstage in the front of the room and a very wide soundstage for the surrounds. Is there any way you can move your front speakers farther apart from each other?

With the component rack and the aquarium I can't set the fronts any further apart. I think I will just pass on rears for now, I am pretty pleased with the sound I am getting right now. I will hem and haw about the rears and see what the wife will let me do.

Guest srobak

Just for fun - borrow a set of any decent rears for a few days, put them on stands, lay the wire on the carpet temporarily... take a listen to some material in surround for a few days, then decide if you need them or not. Just a thought.