Stain color

Wiston

MINWAX WoodFinish (stain) Early American 230 (Home Depot will have it) This is a good match for WO of the late 80's, early 90's, so I ASSUME it is the same as the the 70's. Stain is funny stuff; are your risers made of walnut veneer plywood? If so, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a very good match, otherwise it might take a little work. A light coat of this will make older speakers look like new again.

Hey neighbor! You might try calling Trey at Tech Support for info.Can't supply though.

At one time Klipsch used stains made by Lilly Industries(now Valspar Coatings).There was a store in the area,but it closed(Valspar Coatings-90 Carson Road-271-1063).

As Jerhom said,I've tried a Minwax mahogany stain and it was a close match.

Hope this helps!

Keith

PS: what cars do you like?

Thanks Guys,

I will try the minwax and give Trey a call. I had some birch plywood lying around and used that. Hope I can get a good match with it. I still have plenty of scrap to do testing.

Keith, I like all kinds of cars.

My toy is a 1980 camaro Z28 350 with a factory 4 speed manual. Don,t forget I live in Alabama you know.cwm4.gif

I hear ya,Wiston!

Don't know if you travel out 78 West but I noticed recently that someone opened a USED car lot out in Sumiton.Riding by I recognized some of the old clunkers he had like a '56 Chevy,a '68 Firebird,a '66 Chevelle,etc,etc,etc.Looked like at a glance about 15 or 20 classics.If you're out that way looking for stain :^) a stop might be worthwhile.

Good luck with the project!

Keith

You may run into a problem matching the Heresy finish on birch plywood. The color may come out splotchy. Just a fact of life with birch plywood. You might want to veneer the risers in walnut first. Won't cost much and should be fairly easy to do considering size of the risers.

Wiston,just remembered.Check the phone book or anywho.com for 'Alabama Lumber', I think thats correct.Over by Mazer's on 41st Street.They have solid wood of various types,exotics too.They are not cheap but for what you need shouldn't cost much.Used to buy there years ago building cabinets,pistol grips,etc.

Keith

Winston,

What are the demensions's for the riser's? I would like to build a pair.

I just bought a pair of Heresey's Friday.

Left Pelham at 10:30am Friday morning drove to Little Rock and was back in Pelham by 3:30am Saturday morning.

Hooked up the speakers by 10 am. Still have a grin.

Danny

Malcolm, most "soft" woods like birch and pine absorb stain at different rates, which, as you indicate, gives the finish a "splotchy" look. If you've ever seen a stain job that's splotchy, you won't soon forget it.

Minwax suggests using a "conditioner" (which they sell, of course) on soft woods before staining. On my Khorn project, I did this and it came out great. Simply apply a coat of the conditioner, let it absorb a little, then apply the first coat of stain within 15 minutes of applying the conditioner. The stain goes on for about 10 minutes, wipe it off, let dry, then repeat applications until you get the color you want.

For my project, I found that after 3 coats, the color pretty much was stabilized, which I took to mean it wasn't going to get any darker with additional coats. Looked fine to me!

Attached is the before/after shot I posted on an earlier thread.

Best regards ...

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD