Brand New 4.1's crap out

j486dx

Today i brought home a brand new set of Klipsch 4.1 speakers and i set them all up properly and i listened to them for about 10 min and the satellites just started craping out in low volumes but when you turn the volume up then it quits. so i shut down for a couple of hours and i tried them again and they sounded fine and then about 10 min later they did it again! it seems that if they warm up the sound gets worse! but it only does it when the volume is low. and it stops if i turn the surrond all the way off. Is this a common problem? should i return them or do they all do this?

------------------

Jake

hey, at least your's work... mine were dead out of the box...

i think it's an amp problem, since it happens when the set "warms up" - feel the back of your sub...is it hot?

could also be the preamp since the problem goes away when you mess with the controls...

whatever the problem is... it's not good nor normal... you should take them back and get a replacement set

did you check the cable connections? the speaker cables that come standard with the Promedias are real crap and even the slightest "mis positioning" can add static or noise to the signal. by turning up the volume, i believe you are increasing the signal thru the cables and at a lower volume, the signal might not be enough to overcome the weak contact.

------------------

EXHardware

http://www.exhardware.com/

Your source for the very latest computer hardware news and reviews!

yes i checked all my cable connections and i tried everything and it still does it. i think it is the amp because the back of the sub get really warm. and the longer they are on the more distorted they sound. they actually sound like they are blown but it would sound like crap all the time right? i thought these speakers were the best!

------------------

Jake

cables shouln't be that shoddy as to be the source of problems for this kind of money.

i own the 2.1's and klipsch should really check out some of the newsgroups as the word is getting out not to purchase ANY model of pro medias, adding to that the rumor that as of feb 28, 2002 alienware computers is dropping the promedia line also. this was taken from a post in sound newsgroup.

i like my klipsch 2.1's but wouldn't buy any klipsch product till these complaints are no longer here!

Yep, it might be an amp problem. You have to send the sub back for check-up or replacement.

My unit began to distort a few months after I bought it and the back of the sub is too warm to touch.

They replaced it and since then, I'm taking no chances. I have a small fan behind the sub to keep it cool.

I know that this should not be the case, but considering the power of the amplifier, Klipsch should have a good heatsink installed even when their test units did not heat up.

But I'm happy with its sound and I don't mind keeping having a fan just to keep my sub cool.

My neighbours are just dying to see my "amplifier and speaker system" and I know that they are envisioning a monstrous setup that would cost a month's worth of my salary !

• 3 weeks later...

There is a difference between warm and burn your fingers off hot. The set I had about 5 months ago that blew the amp got so hot that it would have burned my fingers off if I had left my hand on the amp.

The one I have now is warm of course, but by no means hot. Of course something that has 400 watts running through it is going to be warm.

------------------

Brian

Brian@n2v.net

I'm confused now, you mean the problem quits at higher volume or the speakers quit? That's what I thought, but someone else took it the first way and seemed to be correct. That being the case I can say that I was a little disapointed with the very low volume performance too. It lacked clarity, it wasn't fuzzy or anything... It just didn't come alive like it did a little louder. I upgraded my stsalites with gold plated banna plugs my self and get RadioShack premium grade 16 guage speaker wire and used a litle of it to attatch the plugs to the leads and they sound way better now. However, if they are actualy mallfunctioning at low volume than you may have an actuale problem. How low does this happen?

------------------

I wish I had a space ship.