Yet another Rosewood restoration with custom La Scala center

greg928gts

Greg:

You mentioned on the your site that it took 2 4X8 sheets of veneer to do the K-Horns.

--- It took two 4 x 8 sheets of veneer to do the Khorns. I got the veneer from Oakwood Veneer. Cost was about $350. It took a gallon of glue for the veneer on this project, which was about $50 with shipping.---

Did you have to do any splicing for the top hats? It looks like the bass bins are just one sheet, no splicing, correct?!?

Thanks

JJ

Greg:

You mentioned on the your site that it took 2 4X8 sheets of veneer to do the K-Horns.

--- It took two 4 x 8 sheets of veneer to do the Khorns. I got the veneer from Oakwood Veneer. Cost was about $350. It took a gallon of glue for the veneer on this project, which was about $50 with shipping.---

Did you have to do any splicing for the top hats? It looks like the bass bins are just one sheet, no splicing, correct?!?

Thanks

JJ

The glue has gone up in price quite a bit since then. Must have oil in it.

If you don't care much about the veneer layout, meaning centering the veneer figure or running the figure up and over, stuff like that, you can get all the pieces for a pair of "B" style Khorns out of two 4' x 8' sheets easily without having to splice. If the veneer figuring and flitch size is just right, you can get a perfect layout and still get all the pieces easily.

I am very picky about choosing my veneer. I just about drive Oakwood Veneer crazy making them send me pics of veneer. It took me about 6 weeks to buy the veneer for this last pair of Khorns. I'm looking for veneer that has flitches about 8" wide, or about 6 flitches across the sheet. This will give me my best layout because the Khorn front is about 31" wide and I can cut the fronts out of the side of the sheet, leaving me more to work with on the other side, for other things. I actually got enough veneer out of the two sheets for the "M" Khorns that I veneered a set of Heresy's. I suppose 16" flitches would work too, but you usually don't find rosewood that wide.

You will have to turn the two "home plate" sections around opposite of one another, and they will use up most of the 48" width doing this, but that's what leaves you enough room to get the shorter upper section plate out of the rest of the sheet.

Man, talking about this just makes me want to do some more veneer work. I love it, wish I could do it full time.

Greg

hey Greg, what is the make and model of that urinal you put in the new bathroom in your shop?I'm looking for a small nice one for an addition that I'm putting on. a little off-topic I hope it doesn't "piss"you off Smile

LOL, I guess I can "leak" this information.

http://www.toto.com/productpage.asp?PID=270

Consider mounting it a little lower than they say, otherwise "your in" a bit of trouble.

Greg

I am very picky about choosing my veneer. I just about drive Oakwood Veneer crazy making them send me pics of veneer. It took me about 6 weeks to buy the veneer for this last pair of Khorns.

Greg,

I should have let you buy my veneer. It took me two return shipping charges to get the stuff I will use.