...and Quartet makes 5, 5.1 that is!

wuzzzer

Picked up the Quartets that were on craigslist nearby this evening. Really nice guy. I said "So, you're getting rid of the Klipsch?" He said "Yeah, I've had them in storage for 6 years since we bought this smaller house. I replaced them with a smaller cube setup and subwoofer." I didn't ask to see what cubes he was talking about although I think its obvious.

One of the speakers didn't have the wood riser since it was damaged during his last move. No big deal, I was going to use one of them as a center speaker and remove the riser anyway so that the speaker had a more balanced look aesthetically laying on its side. Ironically it also was missing the Klipsch badge on the grill, which is fine because I was going to put one on the top of the middle of the grill while its laying on its side anyway. One of the back passives had its dust cover pushed in slightly but the vacuum cleaner trick worked perfect and now it looks like new.

Unfortunately we got home late tonight and my wife was tired so I only had a few good minutes to try things out. Right now the Quartet is just sitting on the floor tilted up with a piece of wood underneath it so its better aimed at the listening position. I popped Star Wars II in and selected the 5.1 EX and when the THX scene was playing the sound was blended absolutely perfectly. When it does the encircling of the THX logo and the sound pans from left to center to right it was the most seamless transition I've ever heard between side speakers and a center speaker.

I'll have to run my receiver's Audyssey autosetup to get the settings down as far as distance, etc but just with it being plug-and-play it really sounds awesome. My wife did comment that it was way too big for a center speaker and said she thought I was starting to get carried away. Oh well.

Oh, the guy had the Quartets in his porch and he had a cheap receiver hooked up just to show me that they all worked fine. He cranked it way, way up and man did they sound good. When I went back to our car I asked my wife if she heard them when he turned them up. She said "Yes, and its sad that there's more people like you in the world."

The guy bought them brand new from Audio King. I wonder if anyone on here can help me with the age of them? Their serial #s are 044391854 and 044391855. They're Oak Oil so they match my Forte IIs perfectly. I think I'm going to give all three front speakers a nice coat of Tung Oil and freshen them up a bit. I'll post more when I have a chance to do more listening.

• Moderators

Quartet's should match very well with the Forte ll. When I was looking for some rears for my other two pairs of Forte ll's I was also looking for Quartets or Fortes but the Quartets came up for sale much less often. I ended up with one pair of the original Forte's for rears, your going to love the sound. [Y]

Wife went to bed early tonight so no chance to do more listening when I got home from work tonight. Its really exciting to finally have a 5.1 system, especially with the speakers I've been able to assemble to create it.