Forget HD DVD: Toshiba focuses on plain old DVD xd-e500

iwillwalk

Guest srobak

Well...it's a Magnavox... first strike against it. Second is that it is still nearly $300. BR has to break that $150 mark before joe.consumer will accept it as a viable purchase and "format wave of the future".

I did happen to catch an article about the Toshiba unit just the other day from one of my RSS Feeds. The first thing that struck me was, considering their (Toshiba's) first forray into the HD realm (HD-DVD) pretty much ended in a fiasco, have these people not learned ANYTHING? Eeesh! [:S] -Glenn

I did happen to catch an article about the Toshiba unit just the other day from one of my RSS Feeds. The first thing that struck me was, considering their (Toshiba's) first forray into the HD realm (HD-DVD) pretty much ended in a fiasco, have these people not learned ANYTHING? Eeesh! Tongue Tied -Glenn

Maybe this player has some of the guts out of their HD-DVD players in an effort to re-coup their costs???????

Tom

I did happen to catch an article about the Toshiba unit just the other day from one of my RSS Feeds. The first thing that struck me was, considering their (Toshiba's) first forray into the HD realm (HD-DVD) pretty much ended in a fiasco, have these people not learned ANYTHING? Eeesh! Tongue Tied -Glenn

I guess that I would have to respectfully disagree with you on this one, Glenn.

If and I emphasize IF, this Toshiba unit upscales dramatically better than the existing upscaling units (I own one of the Albatross HD-DVD units and it upscales pretty damned nicely), then there may be a market for this player yet. Sure, Blu-ray players will continue to come down in price even with the absence of competition, but the bottom line is that the average Joe has yet to purchase Blu-ray in large quantities, e.g. discs may be too expensive, players still are too expensive or the rental options are still somewhat limited?

If there is a DVD player that can get even closer to HD with standard DVDs, that might be good enough for now for the average Joe watching movies on a high-def LCD or plasma (instead of repurchasing their stock of movies). And leave true HD viewing to dish or cable feeds.

I bet if they lowered the price - just a tad lower - say to $100 or $120, they would sell a number of these units. Heck, they might even sell a number of them at $150.

What some major mag or review site needs to do is a comparison in upscaling regular DVDs between the HD players and this unit.

Carl.