Ebay Sellers Beware, Another Scam

BEC

I just had a similar thing occur. I sold my Harman Kardon AVR-745 for $1,054 on Ebay. The buyer paid right away. I shipped the item and the day after he received it, he did a chargeback.

This not only really scared me because that money was to help support my family, but it also really discouraged me from doing business on Ebay.

All in all, just yesterday in fact, I got an email from Paypal stating that they were going to cover my end of the transaction and paid me the $1,054. That was really reassuring that sellers are covered. I was really afraid that they were just going to let me take a large loss - let's face it - I don't care who you are, a grand is a big chunk of change. I mean, I make pretty good cash in my line of work, but no one want's to look a k.

I am now contacting the police and trying to get this guy arrested and such. Does anyone know if doing what he did is mail fraud? There was no reason for the chargeback.

I just had a similar thing occur. I sold my Harman Kardon AVR-745 for $1,054 on Ebay. The buyer paid right away. I shipped the item and the day after he received it, he did a chargeback.

This not only really scared me because that money was to help support my family, but it also really discouraged me from doing business on Ebay.

All in all, just yesterday in fact, I got an email from Paypal stating that they were going to cover my end of the transaction and paid me the $1,054. That was really reassuring that sellers are covered. I was really afraid that they were just going to let me take a large loss - let's face it - I don't care who you are, a grand is a big chunk of change. I mean, I make pretty good cash in my line of work, but no one want's to look a k.

I am now contacting the police and trying to get this guy arrested and such. Does anyone know if doing what he did is mail fraud? There was no reason for the chargeback.

Credit card companies allow charge backs for any reason or (seemingly) no reason. I have had most of them for companies that charged something on their business card and forgot what it was. Quickest thing for them to do is the charge back and then that will get me to call them to explain what they bought. I just end up without my money for a few weeks even if the buyer releases the charge back immediately. Charge backs occur at the speed of light but canceling a chargeback is by written (snail mail) which goes into someone's in-box to be looked at whenever.

I would like to be able to say that since Paypal has returned your money, it is over. That just may not be the case. If your customer now says that he has returned the item, Paypal will, by default, believe them and take the money again. Been there. The money is gone for good that time unless you can somehow prove he did not send it.

Bob

"I have heard that soon Ebay will no longer allow the buyer to have the seller's email address or the seller to have the buyer's email address. I think this is to prevent the "off Ebay" sales that now cut into Ebay's profits. Ebay wants all communications to be through the Ebay message system."

Thats funny. I just completed an "off Ebay" transaction, and I did it directly through their own dang messaging system! :) I saved money, and the seller didn't have to pay any outrageous Ebay fees. But you know I did use Paypal... and I heard a while back that Ebay bought Paypal..hmmmm...I guess they still won half the battle anyways!

When ebay calculates their final fees, they do not collect a percentage of the shipping costs. A seller can lower his sale price and increase his shipping fee to save the small percentage that would have gone towards ebay's final sale fee. Of course ebay would rather you increase the sale price and offer free shipping. They get to collect more fees.

Ebay has no serious competition to keep them in line and until they do you'll see them stick everyone they can anyway they can.

Yep. Greed sucks. Greed has ruined eBay because of their website rules, forcing people to use their crappy PayPal. And greed from the lousy blokes like the a--hole that Bob started the thread about. Come to think of it, greed ruins just about everything in America these days. Charge more, give less. After reading this thread I'm nervous. I just shipped out my old Xbox today to a buyer no longer registered on eBay. I checked his feedback and he had a record number of feedback in a short time. I was never able to get in contact with him, when suddenly he was listed as no longer an eBay member. The PayPal verified name was one Asian name, and the shipping recipient had a different Asian name. The sale was only $100 and change but I hate being screwed with. I thank Bob for this thread, as I now will have a heads up should I get a chargeback.