Ebay Sellers Beware, Another Scam

BEC

I sold a pair of diaphragms to an eBay user geoctober. Just looking at his feedback, got a surprise. He has received feedback on purchase of 1366 items in the last month. That sort of peaked my interest, so did some searching on this buyer. Found some more eBay user IDs like geopass, rarepass, cocoapass, and greenteapass.

OK, here is how this deal apparently works. He buys enormous numbers of items. He then lists the items for sale (at a higher price) in South Korea. If he sells the item, he pays for the item and has the seller ship to a California warehouse. From there he ships it to his buyer in South Korea. If he does not sell it, he just ignores the purchase. If that happens too often, eBay will suspend him, but he has lots of other eBay IDs, so not a problem.

Another way he maximizes his profits is to claim that he did not get the item the seller shipped him and file a complaint with Paypal. Paypal then puts a hold on the seller's funds. If the seller can prove (by delivery confirmation) that the scam artist did receive it, the seller eventually gets the money back from Paypal. If the seller can't prove it, the scam artist gets the goods, gets the money back and gets to resell at a profit.

No category is safe from this guy (actually a large company, I think). He seems to buy just about anything. Sellers beware!!

Grudgingly I would have to call this guy a genius. He is able to offer about any item anyone could want with no inventory expense.

Bob Crites

It's a scammer from Korea. They bid on thousands of items per day for people in Korea. Then file chargebacks on you.

http://www.geopass.com/shop/main.php

And sellers can't do anything about it anymore because they can't leave negative feedback for buyers.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+GEOPASS++GEOCTOBER+scam

eBay knows all about these guys, and doesn't care.

Requiring immediate payment using paypal would be one way to avoid being a victim to this scam.

Please explain how that would help. A big part of this scam is that they claim they never got the item and Paypal takes the money back from the seller. Even if you successfully defend against this claim with proof of shipping and delivery confirmation, it takes a few weeks to get the money restored to your Paypal account.

Bob

"Please explain how that would help. A big part of this scam is that
they claim they never got the item and Paypal takes the money back from
the seller. Even if you successfully defend against this claim with
proof of shipping and delivery confirmation, it takes a few weeks to
get the money restored to your Paypal account.

Bob""

now I got it...I was focussing in on the buy and reselling aspect of it...so basically, this is another case for just taking check/money orders and shiping when the funds clear. I see a lot of folks who indicate in the listing that they don't want paypal, while the icons show that they take it.

"Please explain how that would help. A big part of this scam is that
they claim they never got the item and Paypal takes the money back from
the seller. Even if you successfully defend against this claim with
proof of shipping and delivery confirmation, it takes a few weeks to
get the money restored to your Paypal account.

Bob""

now I got it...I was focussing in on the buy and reselling aspect of it...so basically, this is another case for just taking check/money orders and shiping when the funds clear. I see a lot of folks who indicate in the listing that they don't want paypal, while the icons show that they take it.

The checks and money orders end soon.

Faster, more secure checkout experience

Paper payments end this October

Beginning late October 2008, all items listed on eBay.com must be paid for using one of the following approved payment options:
Direct credit or debit card payment via a merchant credit card account
PayPal
ProPay
Payment on pick-up
Paper payment methods such as checks and money orders will no longer be accepted on eBay.com.

By January 2009, all approved electronic payment methods will be integrated into eBay checkout. For example, buyers will be able to enter their credit card number directly into eBay checkout, and the payment will be routed to the seller's Internet merchant account or to their PayPal account.

Bob, I'd suggest you go ahead and sell to this guy, with the conditions he pick up the items, and pay with cash and his left nut.

Right nut?.... maybe after someone stops him his new name on eBay will be nonads.... Big Smile

Someone otta break his friggin knee caps, take a hammer to his teeth, and give him a Draino Enima. It makes it much easier to explain to the maggot that he's not being nice and proper social conduct should be observed at all times.

But that's just me. I'm a nice guy for the most part.

Harry

Bob,

That was your post which says there will be no more paper payments on Ebay, right?

That is pretty amazing to think that there will be no more certified check or money order payments.

What's the method to the madness? Credit surcharges for Ebay profits? Less fraud?

It's not unusual to find an ebay seller who accepts MO only. I wonder how many of those folks are out there.

Dee,

In "late October" eBay listings can no longer specify payments by check or money order. Ebay says this is to give buyers recourse on every transaction. Someone might suggest that another unspoken reason is that now Ebay will get to make money on more payment transactions.

This is part of another series of Ebay changes.

Ebay will also encourage more fixed price listings in an attempt to move most away from the auction format. Ebay says there are fewer complaints about the fixed price listings than about the auction stylel listings.

Ebay will require all items to state a shipping carrier and shipping cost in all listings and Ebay will start making determinations of what they consider to be excess shipping charges and may cancel listings that specify what Ebay considers to be excess shipping charges. Their method to determine this needs some work. Right now Ebay is complaining to me about my shipping charges for a battery charger. It is larger and twice as heavy as others I sell, so the shipping charges are higher. They don't seem to have a way to consider that an item which is advertised for a certain purpose might be heavier than another item for that stated purpose.

Ebay will encourage sellers to offer free shipping. Seller will get discounts for offering free shipping. My account manager calls me about once a week now trying to get me to offer free shipping. Of course that just gets added into the selling price when you offer free shipping but no longer can a customer complain about excessive shipping charges if the shipping is "free" and Ebay wants to get that one buyer complaint out of the picture.

More emphasis will be placed on the seller's DSR (Detailed Seller Rating). Sellers who do not maintain a DSR of at least 4.3 will no longer be allowed to sell. That means in the rating system of 1 to 5. All sellers better get almost all 5s. All 4s (indicating satisfactory service) would get a seller kicked off Ebay. Most ratings have to be 5s indicating "very satisfied". The reality is that all ratings need to average 4.9 or above. Ebay penalizes any seller with a rating below 4.9.

I have heard that soon Ebay will no longer allow the buyer to have the seller's email address or the seller to have the buyer's email address. I think this is to prevent the "off Ebay" sales that now cut into Ebay's profits. Ebay wants all communications to be thorough the Ebay message system.

Bob Crites

I'd think a quoted shipping price or "free" shipping will be a buyer friendly thing. As you mention, the "free" shipping will be included in the selling price. Anytime I've seen what I thought was over priced shipping, I've simply taken that into account when bidding.

Do you see any down side to that?

It is surprising to me that so many ebay sellers do not require or include shipping insurance in their shipping. As a seller, I considered it to be in my interest, as well as the buyer, to insure the shipment. If it got lost or damaged I wanted some recourse with the shipper.

Over all, do you think any of these changes will make things better for the sellers? I hadn't realized there were so many creative ways for buyers to cheat the sellers.

Dee,

For me, offering free shipping is more of a communications difficulty. I sell my Ebay items worldwide. If I offer free shipping, obviously, that has to mean free shipping in the US. Rates vary wildly worldwide. Now, my foreign customers may not speak my language, but they are certainly smart enough to realize that if I ship free in the states, that part of the shipping must be included in the price. Most of them are probably going to be suspect of any amount I tell them for shipping since they will want the full value of US shipping credited against their shipping cost. My Ebay account exec. wants me to specify a flat rate shipping for all the rest of the world outside the US. I can't make that one work because of the great difference in shipping cost for (for instance) Canada and Australia. I would either overcharge the Canadians or give the Aussies a good deal.

I insure all my shipments for the full replacement value. Trouble is that now Ebay has put a default insurance value of $100.00 for UPS in the shipping info that can't be changed (at least last time I looked). I would like it to say insured for full replacement value.

I would guess that I have been helped by the changes so far even though I dislike the fact that a seller no longer can leave a negative feedback for a buyer who roundly deserves it. A seller cannot even leave a positive feedback that is other than a glowing feedback. That is, a seller cannot leave a positive feedback that says "Buyer threatened to leave negative feedback unless he got something extra."

I am a bit more concerned about no longer allowing paper payments. I get lots of payments that way.

Bob

Bob,

I appreciate your take on this.

Ebay is not making it easy for sellers. Hard to imagine that it's so common for a buyer to coerce a seller in that way. That's just low, really low.

The Ebay UPS $100 limit sounds like a loser. Hope they come to their senses on that one.