Anyone Else Listen To Mothership Yet?

garymd

I got my copy a couple days ago and finally had time to play one LP last night. Having most of Zep's Classic reissues, I had something good with which to compare.

I listened to sides 7 and 8. 2 cuts off of Presence (Nobody's Fault But Mine and Achilles Last Stand) and 2 off of In Through The Out Door (In The Evening and All Of My Love).

Detail out the wahzoo. I was most impressed with probably my least favorite song, All Of My Love. Killer detail on what sounds like an accordian and orchestra. Stuff I certainly never heard before.

I still have 3 other LPs to play. So far I'm somewhat disappointed overall. It just sounds a bit thin to my ears. Nobody's Fault But Mine on the Classic reissue is just killer. This left me unimpressed. Really not much depth and not very musical IMO. It sounds like they took the originals, most of which sound just horrible BTW and jacked up the high-frequency EQ so you could hear more detail. It is very quiet though. Maybe the rest will sound better. I hope so anyway. I'm taking to the beach this weekend to listen on my Zu/Cornwall setup and I expect it to be a better match than on the Khorns. If I completely change my opinion after a few listens, don't hold it against me! It wouldn't be the first time.

BTW - The packaging is TOP NOTCH! Very, very cool box set. I got a free patch too :)

Mine arrived this week. Can't remember how long I waited for this thing. Seems like it was over a year. Anyway I'll crack er open this weekend. I've always been hooked on In The Evening for no explainable reason. I'm slowly trying to grab up the 200g re-issues, not doing so well there as some of them are getting kind of $$$.

Of the 200g reissues, IMO the 2 best are Presence & Houses of the Holy. I don't have them all but I have Houses, Physical Graffitti, III and IV. Presence was borrowed from RPlace. The original of the first album is so good that I didn't see a need to buy the reissue and I have the MFSL of II. I'm also a big fan of In The Evening. I remember when that album finally came out and I heard that song. I was so excited because it sounded like old Zeppelin again.

I might be interested in selling a couple of my 200 gram LPs if I decide Mothership is good enough for me. Other than Houses, they have been played no more than once and a couple sides of PG have never been played!