How far back for rears on 7.1?

ClintonH

Finally got my new speakers all setup, have the RF-35's with RC-35 up front. Surrounds are RS-42's and bought the RSX-4's for the rear surrounds. Have the fronts and surrounds all setup but wanted opinions on how far back I can go with the rear surrounds? This is in a 10'X28' room, the surrounds are about half way which is where the seating is. Can the rear surrounds go on the back wall or is that to far? I have a drop ceiling so mounting will have to be fabricated if I go forward of the rear wall. Thanks for any opinions or info.

Clinton

Clinton: I wholeheartedly agree with CECAA850's suggestion. Calibration will be paramount, with special detail paid to their volume. They will most-likely have to be a bit louder (+2 or +3db more or higher) than they would normally be in a shorter room. One factor is the type of back you have on your seating. If the chair backs rise very far above the occupant's ears, the increase in the rear channel levels will be even greater than I mentioned, perhaps as much as +6 db or more. Trial-and-error will be your best indicator. Be sure you can only hear those channels when you are SUPPOSED to! Best of luck! -Glenn

Our Klipsch RCW-5 In-Wall rears (in White) are visible in this photo and they are about 9 feet back from our theater seats in a 10.5 w x 19' d room. At the suggestion of IndyKlipschFan, who has been to our room numerous times, I run them +3 db higher than my Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi receiver's MCACC equalization system had indicated they should be. The results have been stunning. My particular (La-Z-Boy Matinee) theater seat backs do not block ones ears while seated in them. However the forward lip on the bar behind them does slightly when the seats are reclined. You may noticed that my Klipsch surrounds (Black RS-7s) are placed high on the walls at the room's mid-point very similar to your setup. Note: Front array is LH/RH RF-7s and RC-7 Center channel. Sub is under the bar just behind that right theater seat and it's a Klipsch RSW-15. (Click on photo for a larger view)

post-10177-13819410929306_thumb.jpg