A-sceirt, help please

Ricker

Hi all,

what's it take to blow out a speaker? me & my wife have an ancient system with 35 year old speakers and an amp that's 20+ years old. still got a CRT TV. anyhoo.

on the advice of a friend bought a pair of klipsch 62 floor speakers and a new Yamaha receiver. in trying to hook it up I inadvertently had the volume cranked up when I hit the button on the amp to switch to the cd player. wow. it scared the peewads out of me and my friend and the amp shut down.

I inspected the two visible speakers and no damage is evident. Meanwhile I've been listening to Joni Mitchell and can't hear any distortion, buzzing or problems. Is it possible I did no damage to the speakers? I sure hope so because we don't have a bunch of money. We're looking forward to slowly replacing the components and I'd hate to have messed up the speakers from the get go.

rw

Welcome to the forums.

If all the drivers (individual speaker components such as woofer and tweeter) are working, you are probably ok. I would imagine the music sounds pretty good. Those are fairly sensitive speakers, so having the volume up would certainly give you quite a start. You can listen (with the volume down low) up close to the speakers. The horn on top (tweeter) should be putting out the high frequencies. If you can hear music coming out, you're probably good to go.

You got RF-62? Nice...

Bruce

As Marvel said, elcome to the Forum!!

it scared the peewads out of me and my friend and the amp shut down.

Hilarious description!!! Evokes an image of two guys running around looking for pampers and a fire extinguisher... that must have been funny (in retrospect...)

As likely as not, in all seriousness, the amp's protection circuit probably protected the speakers by shutting down. You can check the "peewad-o-meter" by turning it up again (slowly) and make sure that the amp is ok with a high volume. With a gradual increase, the amp should be able to handle the load ok. The likely candidates for damage would have been the midrange/tweeter. With the volume at a moderate level, turn the bass down on the amp, and listen to the mid/tweeter. Either sounds ok or it does not. Hope that is of some assistance.