Best bang for the buck turntable??

askbob1

My re-entry to vinyl started with a project debut III, then a heavily modified ar ES1, the a thorens td150, then a thorens td124. The td124 is by farr the best table. Great pace, a solid foundation to the sound and very low noise floor.

Project

This was my best bang for the buck. Almost free :)

IMG_1198.jpg

I am going to use the new Jelco 12 inch tonearm. Currnetly I am getting items for the plinth. It is dificult to find threaded inserts for brittish fine thread bolts PITA. When I find proper replacement bolts and threaded inserts I'll be ready to start plinth cutting. Then it will go in a 10 layer baltic birch plinth with removable arm boards for the Garrard and Jelco. I've decided to go with Jaguar Brittish racing green with a nice clear coat : ). There is no rumble or hum from this TT. It was cared for and kept lubed since 1950's. I'll have $1k when finished.

I second the Thorens TD165/166 series tables. They can be bought cheap with a cartridge for less than $200.00 even with the ubiquitous dynamat mods. I bought one off ebay. Did the suspension and Dynamat mods, bought a Ortofon cartridge for it and built a new base. Total outlay for less than $200.00. The table really sings and more musically involving than the TD125 and Marantz TT15S1 I have now. I missed mine.

• 4 weeks later...