Surrounds or bookshelves for rears

scoote69

I would recommend the bookshelfs, especially if they are going to be 7 feet behind you. The RS speakers feature a wide dispersion and work very well on the side walls. When you place them on your rear wall, you will want to drive the surround field to your sitting position. I think RB's will do a better job in your application.

I sit about 8 ft from my rear speakers in a 7.1 configuration and have tried both RB-75s and RS-7s and prefer the RB-75s by a small margin especially for multichannel music. {EDIT: If this is for a 5.1 HT and Movies are the main consideration, the WDST model may work better--but for 7.1 I stand by my original recommendation.}

If used in a 5.1 system.... go surrounds..

If these are the back 2 speakers in a 7.1 system, go bookshelf.

We agree TKD.

I will have to say the WDST will work very well with a smaller room if all 4 surround speakers are WDST too. I have heard it, and makes the room feel MUCH bigger, which is a cool trick too!

I would only go with wide dis if you are very close to your speakers, say less than 4 feet.

Hmmm....I have found the exact opposite to my liking. I sit within 4 ft of my surrounds and they being 8 ft from my rears, I prefer the WDST effect that seems to transpire with 5.1 material being processed into 7.1 with my monopoles.