My first Khorns

tim3

I just got a pair of Khorns.I put in CT-125 tweeters & CW1526C woofers.I also have a pair of 12 cu. ft. subs. each with 1 21" Tekton driver each with an external crossover & each being powered with a bridged Adcom 555II amp.(600 WPC).Are the tweeter & woofer exchange an upgrade.Also,is the squaker of the Khorn a weak link.If so,can anyone explain why & what are some good upgrade options that I only have to do is screw in the screws.Thank you for all & any help & opinions,Tim.

For a "screw in" or simple bolt-on for the midrange, consider a new pair of K55's (Bob has them). Arguably in terms of cost vs sound (whic is what it will sound like to you), there are a number of different midrange "options", ranging from simple driver replacement with a new one (or change out the diaphragms), all the way to replacement of the top section horn with an Altec or ALK's Trachorn system. Changing the midrange from anything other than the original or a very, very close replacement (K-55V vs K-55M, etc.) will inevitably also require you look at the crossovers as well. Hope that is of some assistance.

Having used the A/4500's in LaScala's, Belles, and Klipschorns, I agree with Daddy Dee on that observation. With the CT-125 tweeter, that particular version of the venerable "A" works very well. You should also consider what you listen to and the volume level. In my case, the type A is my preference because I listen to lower volumes, and probably am "nearfield", or close to it in alot of the situations in the man cave. Thus the A probably does well. If I had a larger room for those K-horns, who knows. But... the whole 4500 crossover thing caused me to think about that frequency and the use of the CT-125's. I ended up on several pairs of Heresy's using CT-125's and E/4500's. They sound very good both with the Selenium D250X midrange and with the standard K55 midrange. It's going to be an "ear" thing in the long run. Unfortunately, in order to experiment with A/AA's or A/4500's, you will need to find a second pair of bone stock A's or AA's and send them to Bob for the 4500 conversion. The worst that can happen when all is said and done is that you don't like the 4500 version, and will simply sell them. The A/4500 is a very simple crossover to build (even I can understand where the little wire thingys go...) so you might want to ask Bob for a parts list and do it yourself.

"A is my preference because I listen to lower volumes"

Kidding aside, Generally unless I'm testing stuff,.... or a member of the South Florida Hunting, Fishing, Beer Testing and Klipsch Owners Grand and Exalted Coral Society is over in the wall of voodo, they generally are at a very low level.... Especially if SWMBO is present..... [:D]