Need a good sub for the computer

videoCWK

Hey everyone. To make a long story short, I can't find a pair of Promedia 2.1s anywhere. Best Buy stopped carrying them, they've been out of stock on the Klipsch site for a while, and every online store I can find either doesn't sell them anymore, or is out of stock. I'm starting to think they've been discontinued.

Anyway, I really need a new pair of speakers as soon as I can get them. My old Logitech set died (they weren't that good anyway) and I'm stuck using some old Harmon/Kardons. The only speaker set(s) that seem comparable to the Promedias seem to be the M-Audio AV 40s or AV 30s. I haven't used them, but I don't like that Logitech pair that people say compares to the Promedias, and I assume that studio monitors will sound pretty good. The problem is, they really are made for people's home studios and whatnot, so they don't have a proprietary sub. I'm on kind of a tight budget, so I can't get an HT sub, not even a small one, and M-Audio's only sub ($500) is way out of the question. So I ask you, people of the Klipsch forums, what should I look for in a sub for my computer?

Also, this is really an area of audio that I have never looked into. If I need an amp or some other component so I can actually set up both and control them conveniently, please let me know, and possibly give some examples. Thank you.

Edit: I realize I should let you know my budget. I initially wanted to spend the $150 on the Promedias, so I don't want to spend a lot more than that. I suppose $250 is the highest I'd want to go, but I am flexible. If I need to, I'll go with the AV 30s rather than the 40s.

I have a pair ofAlesis Monitor Ones and an 8 inch Velodyne sub on my PC. The sub was given to me by my brother in law when he decided he didn't need it.

I had looked at a Blue Sky MediaDesk 2.1 system, but they are $700. Pretty far out of my range.

The Pro Medias are an excellent value for sure.

Bruce

I have a pair ofAlesis Monitor Ones and an 8 inch Velodyne sub on my PC. The sub was given to me by my brother in law when he decided he didn't need it.

I had looked at a Blue Sky MediaDesk 2.1 system, but they are $700. Pretty far out of my range.

The Pro Medias are an excellent value for sure.

Bruce

Is it a good sub? Care to share the model/price for a new one? Right now I'm really liking the Polk PSW10, since it'll be great for my room size (pretty small), and I can get it for around $100 new on Amazon.

Also, I do kind of like the idea of getting a good condition Promedia set for $120, but I don't want to buy anything but new. I've heard of people having durability issues with their sets. I'm not that afraid of it, but I don't know anything about the previous owner, so even if it's in good working condition when I get it, some part of it could be worn enough to break after I've received it. I know I'm being a little overreactive, but I don't want to risk it.