Jazz lovers

AndyKubicki

I manage to float in and out here from time to time. You might remember that I mentioned a local jazz band I see who are just killer musicians. Well, in this post, I will bring them to you via a downloadable link. Ron gave me his permission to share this live performance. Unfortunately, there is a bit of clipping going on in the bass. Any guesses how this recording was done?

Here's the link: https://download.yousendit.com/R3oyWUh0bThZY1JFQlE9PQ

Good for 6 more days. The band is the Ron Kobayashi Trio with vocalist Debi Ebert, and they perform at Steamers in Fullerton the first Tuesday of each month.If you are in the neighborhood, let me know, we'll hook up!

BTW This is a wav file [:D]

• 2 weeks later...

It took a while, but just got through listening. Tell me about how and with what it was done. Very nice, live sound. Applause did not sound like rain or bacon frying.

Very fine performance, too. Wish I had a nice club like that near me.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Yes, I do feel very lucky to have musicians like them as friends and even teachers. When they play, it's magic enough to get me (as well as the other fans you heard) to stay out late on a Tuesday night and pay the price at work on Wednesday.

It would really be cool to hear what the cube can do in the same club- I'll bet it would be killer!

Here is what I used: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/index.php

Just a little mastering with the Sonar plugins and viola! You can record in formats ranging from mp3 (good for lectures and such) up to 96/24. The ones you heard were recorded at 44.1/24, and I did a couple at 96/24 as well. The nice thing is, you can also plug some condenser mikes into this puppy and it supplies phantom power.

When recording a bass track, I usually get a bunch og RFI into the pickups, especially from computer monitors. With this thing, I can load in a stereo track and add tracks, like the bass, while sitting on the floor in my livingroom away from walls with electrical lines and monitors...it's much cleaner.

Another litle advantage is that I could play something recorded in 96/24 without lugging my computer into my KHorn room by plugging it into the preamp! Which reminds me, I want to download a few more of your files and play them that way...

Cool looking device! I've a Korg MR-1 I'll be testing as an "alibi" recorder tomorrow night. I've figure a way to sum the four channels passively and want to see how ProLogicII decodes it. Perfect test, with passively summed signals from 4 identical mikes. Should be interesting...

The Korg also has some cute little stereo mikes to plug in, but I've not tried the yet. I'll certainly take them for "targets of opportunity" when I go to England on business in the not too distant future.

Thanks again for download. Put up some more when you get a chance. Those of you who didn't grab this missed a really nice performance!

Dave