Help with RF-3II imaging

jdeanmc

Hi all.

I need help to get my front left and right speakers set up.

I have the Rf-3II's with the rc3II center,my problem is i can find the sweet spot for the fronts,

I do have them toed in and have played with this many times but cant seem to get it right,i had synergy f2's before and they did fine.

Sitting on the right side of my sofa(my normal listening position) the right front is too dominate.same for the left.i have acoustic panels at the first reflection points and have eq'ed everything,i have the yamaha rx-v1800 receiver and have run the ypao many times as well as manually setup with db meter.

this isnt as noticable when in 5.1 because the center fills in but on tv programs that are 2 channel or 2 channel music its very noticeable,i know im trying to get 2 sweet spots left side of sofa and right side of sofa which isnt going to happen but i would think i should be able to get the imaging a little wider as the cheaper f2s seems to do an ok job.

My room is 22x 22.listening position @ 38% of room is 8.5 to 9 feet from front wall,fronts are 9 feet apart toed in.one problem to note is that the right speaker is about 5 feet from side wall and the left is about 8 feet this is due to the left side opening going up the stairs(its a basement room)

any thoughts on how i may improve on this?

Thanks

Dean

I really cant move my lp back as i just moved it up about a foot when i read about the 38% rule to get out of a bass null.this did make a HUGE improvement in bass response.I will try to move the fronts closer and see what that does.I was told on another site (avsforum)that they were way too close together,that since my room was 22 feet wide they needed to be at least 12 feet apart?

I will try

Thanks

Dean

The receiver is a Yamaha rx-v1800.

I set it up using the test tones and radio shack spl meter,set everything to 75 db.with the mic at the center position at ear level (center cushion)of the sofa.i have also ran the ypao(yamahas auto setup feature)and get the same results.im hoping the problem is speakers too close or too far apart,im getting suggestions both ways on other sites.

I hope this answers your question if not please ask.

p.s.all speakers set to small,xover at 90hz to subs

....im hoping the problem is speakers too close or too far apart,im getting suggestions both ways on other sites.

I hope this answers your question if not please ask.

p.s.all speakers set to small,xover at 90hz to subs

It sounds like you have the BM settings done correctly and I agree with the dude on the other site who recommended toeing them in so the axis is slightly in front of you. Imo, spreading out the speakers isn't the answer but you mentioned you already tried it so....I could be wrong--try the contrary opinion that you are referring and report back. :-)

I moved the speakers a llittle closer last night and the problem seems to improve slightly but im not there yet.

Ive got my mind stuck on the problem could be that the left is about 2 foot further from the side wall than the right as well as the left opens up to the stairwell.

I did not re eq(re eq,redo,reeeeeeeqqq,now thats funny) anyway ill try to re run the ypao tonight and manually check the volumes with db meter to see if that helps.i would think if the problem was with the side walls in reference to the speakers the parametric eq and acoustic panels could offset some of this.

Thanks Again will ree-q tonight

Dean

YPOW, I might have guesed...

Yes, re-do with the NEW SPEAKERS.

I would also FIRST move the speakers into a more normal position, as though you were not having the imaging problems that you were having.

That YPOW will do huge levels of adaptation to the signal coming out of that Yamaha and you need to start from a clean slate with the RFs.

Note: there is a "reset YPOW" sequence that you can force the Yamaha to do and it might ALSO be necessary.

That reset YPOW command might be listed in the 1800's manual even though it was not listed in my 1500's manual and I had to call Yamaha to get it.

Good luck tonight and keep us informed!

N