4, 6, 8 Ohms for laScala?

jazzbeq

Good Day,

I have a pair of laScala and a leben cx300(EL84 and 12ax7).

On my leben, i have the choice of listening [*-)] in 4, 6 or 8 Ohms?

I have noticed a slight difference between the 3 set-up? but could not tell witch one is the best?

I have noticed some listening fatigue, and i was set in 4 Ohms, anyone experienced with those parameters, could share is observation/recommandation on that?

ftr, i have the bob crites, type A updated my laScala

Also on one of my laScala, i hear a tchip tchip, tube or caps? both are one years old? maybe one bob caps, were broken in transport?

Thanks for any help?

Regards

if you don't have bi-wire jumpers on your lascala's, I would use the 4 ohm tap.

If you do have bi-wire jumpers, I would put the HI frequency section on 4 ohms and the LF section on 6 ohms. this would provide a +1.5 db on the LF section.

Thanks for the info,

So i am searching a set-up to have the more realistic sound possible, no overbright, not to dark, and very musical, SO:

I don't have bi-wire jumper, so it should be 4 Ohms, but i don't like overbright speaker, so i'll guess i would go for the 6 Ohms for more natural sound?

Will listen to it and gave you my impression!

Thanks again, very helpfull!

regards, Chris

Moving a non-bi-wireable set of speakers from the 4 ohm tap to the 6 ohm tap won't make the sound less bright, it will actually increase your output by 1.5 db across the board for the given volume level position....so they will be brighter.

your options are

1. install a 2.5mh inductor in your speaker and connect your woofer section to that....put this on the 6 ohm tap...put the original xover on the 4 ohm tap

2. modifiy your xovers to convert them to bi-wire

3. use the tap settings on the autoformer within the crossovers to reduce the mid driver -3db....but this won't help with the tweeter driver level

I have noticed a slight difference between the 3 set-up? but could not tell witch one is the best?

I have noticed some listening fatigue

If the differences are small, it could take a while to be sure which set-up you like best. Maybe try a week or two with each one and take notes. If you're getting listening fatigue, that could mean that's not the set-up you want.

Hi i'll take your advise, but so far my Benz Ace, as acurate has she is, she lack warmnest and was responsable for some listening fatique, for now, i resume the process with a Denon DL160 (i had broke my denon 103, trying to install it!) :(

So one week with 4 Ohms, one with 6 Ohms and one with 8 Ohms, will hear and i post my impression!

Thanks, sometime you are to close to the wall to see a simple door, thanks for puting everything in perspective!

regards, Chris

I myself would put them on the 8 ohm taps and forget the taps.... I'd bet the problem lies some where else... changing the transformer taps on your x-overs isn't the greatest idea since changing it on the Type A will also change the crossover point. The Klipsch Type A crossover really isn't designed to be messing around with the taps like an after market crossover from Al K. or DeanG unless you also change the value of the associated capacitor to bring the crossover point back in line. The Type A crossover by nature is a little bright even with its original worn out caps in place. Installing modern film caps that perform better then the original can caps did when PWK designed and voiced the crossovers takes them over the edge. While the newer more efficient caps do help clean things up IMHO they also brighten things up which in turn leads to listening fatigue. I have a set of Type A's here with all modern components and they are simply unacceptable to my ears. Hence they have been collecting dust for about 3 years.

Craig

Good thing,

i had kept, my type al crossover, since everything been upgraded in my gear, maybe i should put back my old type al crossover in it to hear/see the difference! did not thought of that!

so after my 3 weeks listening, will do the same with my al type! i'll keep you inform on that!

thanks, it is a good idea!

regards, Chris

I experimented with 4, 8, and 16 ohms on my La Scalas (type A networks). This is with SET amps.

4 sounded a little dark, but might be just right for really loud listening, I just don't play that loud.

8 sounded very good and natural, the correct "body" to the sound for medium loud listening.

16 sounded a little strange - light with accentuated high end that made some instruments (harpsichord, some electric guitars, etc) too bright.

You could use a different setting on each channel and use a mono signal to hear differences.

• 4 weeks later...

Craig, what crossover do you use?

I myself would put them on the 8 ohm taps and forget the taps.... I'd bet the problem lies some where else... changing the transformer taps on your x-overs isn't the greatest idea since changing it on the Type A will also change the crossover point. The Klipsch Type A crossover really isn't designed to be messing around with the taps like an after market crossover from Al K. or DeanG unless you also change the value of the associated capacitor to bring the crossover point back in line. The Type A crossover by nature is a little bright even with its original worn out caps in place. Installing modern film caps that perform better then the original can caps did when PWK designed and voiced the crossovers takes them over the edge. While the newer more efficient caps do help clean things up IMHO they also brighten things up which in turn leads to listening fatigue. I have a set of Type A's here with all modern components and they are simply unacceptable to my ears. Hence they have been collecting dust for about 3 years.

Craig