Risers or Stands for LSII's?

jdm56

I'm contemplating building either risers or stands for my LSII's. I'm not sure I will, but after I get my subwoofer situation sorted out, I'll need something to focus on, audio-wise. So if anyone has pics of risers or stands they've built for La Scala's, Belles or Cornwalls, I'd like to see them. I'm thinking probably risers, about 4" high, more or less. Or maybe just an angled pair similar to what they put under H3's. I'm not really sure it will improve the sound, other than when standing, but then again, it might. Casters might be kind of nice, too...

I have a piece of 2X4 under the front of each of my lascalas.....so yeah...the smaller the room...the more likely you will need to tilt the speakers back.....angle and amount of tilt depends on room size so you mightjust want to do some trial and error analisys using scrap wood til you get the feel of the right amount of tilt.

Yeah, that's good advice, no doubt. I don't want to get too fancy, and to be honest, I don't really think I'm losing much high-end as is, but there is a bit of dulling when I stand up from my seat in the sweet spot. (No big deal there!) When seated, and depending on how I'm sitting, my ears are just a little bit above the tweeter now. I really think just raising the front with a few degrees of tilt might be the best thing, but then again, casters would be handy sometimes. Oh well, I'll probably just try some different things like you said, just to see what works before I put any time and expense into anything.

The best mod I can think of for the LaScala is to leave the speaker on the floor, but add a pair of Jubilee 402 horns with K69 drivers on top of the LaScala's. The LaScala tweeter and squawker will not be used. This has been unofficially dubbed the JubScala. I have one as center channel between two Jubilees.

The 402 horn with K69 driver will take you into a whole new world of low distortion presence and detail. I was blown away at the difference.

I'm just not ready to go that route yet! (A) I've only had the LS2's less than two months and my wife would kill me if I even mentioned that kind of mod; (B) Frankly, I can't imagine anything having more presence and detail than what I've got now. (I know -- Ignorance is bliss!) and © This system is in a family room, so I have to maintain at least a wee bit of wife acceptance factor.

BTW, Mr. BHendrix, you simply MUST send pics of your HT rig to the mags. They would have to run a story on it because it is the most gorgaceous A/V speaker/room set-up I've ever seen in the history of the universe as we know it.[H]

Actually, you can convert to JubScalas using the much smaller K510 horns, which will give you a reasonable facsimile of the "402 sound". However, most people go to bi-amping with active crossovers at the same time, so it can get a bit complicated and expensive.

Anyway, here's a picture of one of my JubScalas, a 1974 La Scala with a K510 horn/K-69A tweeter on a Plexiglas stand. This is the right speaker. The left speaker has its tweeter offset to its cabinet's left side, of course.

With the stock La Scalas, I sometimes had the impression that the musicians were all sitting down. Having the tweeter on top of the cabinet puts all the players back on their feet. The upgrade improves the sound in many other ways, too.

post-23736-13819418975372_thumb.jpg

I would suggest risers. Generally that is because I don't know what sort of stands would work. It seems to me that neither approach is going to make the LS look svelt. Maybe the risers have the edge though.

Here is a link to my photos of risers I made for the Quartets. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/77074/761213.aspx#761213

The Q's have a recess in the two-inch (approx) built-in riser and the four prongs are meant to engage that volume to keep the original speaker box in place. In your case, I'd suggest a top panel with a cut-out to key to the bottom hatch of the LS. You talk about only wanting a few inches and that should not be difficult.

In my case, I added the bottom plate to allow sliding around the carpet and prevent carpet dimples. If I was doing it for LS I'd make the bottom plate square and at least a few inches larger than the 2 foot by 2 foot footprint of the LS to get a wider base stance. Then you could put on castors.

I do think that castors create a potential tipping issue and rug dimple issue. I've made up masonite panels painted white to put under other speakers with castors as a carpet shield and to make a hard surface. Something of importance for safety if you have rug rats.

Incidentally, in the second photo you can see the edge of a Belle on a dolly I built. In that case I installed small strips of wood on the upper surface of the dolly to key to the recess under the Belle.

Best,

Wm McD

I have 2004 La Scalas and I built 6 inch risers out of 2 x 4s and plywood. My living room is 15 x 15 x 8 and I sit about 10-12 feet back. It brought the mid horn up to my ear level and put the tweeter just above my ears so to me it is not as bright.

If I could sit about 15 feet back then I would probably do 2-3 inch risers.