Can I do this??

IndyKlipschFan

I have a perfectly good amp a Yamaha 2070 with dolby pro logic. In its day, I paid big $$ to have the best. I saw this on the Klipsch site... I am up late maybe my mind is not too clear because I am so tired but could I use this unit to upgrade to DTS and Dolby Digital in this amp?

PROMEDIA DD-5.1

$169.99

This versatile audio surround sound system digital decoder/preamplifier is precisely crafted to bring you the most advanced surround modes including DTS, Dolby Digital & Dolby Pro Logic.

This system will reproduce six discrete channels of encoded sound tracks with true fidelity and sonic excellence. The ProMedia DD-5.1 automatically detects the type of signal present at each input and decodes it based on the original encoded software.

Could I now have Dolby Digital, and dts through this unit>>>?? Help me out here. Thanks.

The DD-5.1 will accept either coax or toslink digital signal input and will output 5.1 channels of analog information. Assuming the 2070 has good power to all 5 channels (and full bandwidth to the rears), you could connect a source with digital output - like a DVD player to the DD-5.1 and connect the 5 analog outputs of that device to the 5 channels of preamp input (I think the 2070 offers this) to get DD and DTS. You would connect the sub output of the DD-5.1 to your powered subwoofer and do bass management in the DD-5.1. Not bad for an investment under $200. The fly in the ointment is the input capability of the 2070. I don't remember that it has a 5 channel input. Being a pro-logic processor, I believe all the inputs are 2 channel.

BTW, the processor in the DD-5.1 is a very high performance 20 bit design from Crystal. It can be found in some VERY expensive home audio preamp/processors.

to see a diagram on how to do this, click here

http://www.klipsch.com/assets/dd51.pdf

go to page 10 if i remember correctly... Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

Justin the "all knowing" ...LOL. It amazes me how much you know about all this stuff. You will have to explain your name to us sometime in this forum too. When I was a kid, I used to memorize stereo "Hi Fi" information as far as amps, speakers, and other technical data. (This was like my own version of baseball stats, or baseball cards to me.)

The local guys at the Hi Fi Buys and Soundpro Stereo stores (Who were my "heros," were nice to me because I cared to learn about what it was they sold, and more important WHY they liked this or that piece.) These stores published handouts and magazines, as well as reading Stereo Review and other publications became and became part of my life. It's nice, even at 40 yrs old today, my love for audio, music of all styles and singing in general, is still with me.)

I looked at the info you sent me, and have decided to purchase this unit. It would be great to bring a older piece of equipment into the 21st century in another room in my house.

Thanks for your help, I will give you all (In the forum here) an update after it is connected and up and running after the tweeks etc., etc. It looks like this is just what I needed.

Thanks Again!!!!!!