T-man's new HT room - first impressions

t-man

Well gang, I successfully relocated my ent center and all my gear to a new room in the basement. I had to fight with my wife to be able to do this, but the work was worth it.

In my new environment, my couch/listening area is now only 2/3 back from the front as opposed to on the back wall. This was the single most improvement to all audio, HT, and subwoofer performance....well beyond expected. I strongly suggest setting up your HT room so that your couch is NOT on the rear wall.

I also set up my C7 as center use, and my wife had a fit. I allowed her to put a doilie on it, and now she's happier, but still pissed. I had to set it -6 in relation to my mains (KG 5.5), as it's so darn efficient.

The rears (KG1 direct radiating) are up high and 6-7 ft behind me facing the listening position. This sounds excellent! The room simply sounds amazing, and I couldn't be more pleased. I can actually calibrate my subwoofer now. In the old area, it was too muddy and garbaged to even get an accurate SPL reading.

My SVS is arriving next week, and I'll be sure to do further testing and provide full review and pics of new setup in a week or two. So far, the room has given me an impression of a completely different HT, even though I'm using the same equipment. Everything sounds so much more alive, and full. Amazing.

T-man

Congrats! Smile.gif

I would love to hear the SVS update. Smile.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT 16:9 LCD Projector

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900 (European version)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Sounds great T-Man ! We are adding on a room to the house that was originally going to be a game room, but I'm leaning more towards a dedicated HT room now. I'll remember you couch suggestion. Do you have any photo's you can post ?

This message has been edited by Hagood on 02-01-2002 at 12:28 PM

I'll throw my 0.02 in here. My HT is similar; my couch is about 18-20" in front of the back wall and I like it alot. In my previous house, it was flush against the wall, and I wasn't getting quite the full sound I am now. Granted, it's a different room, but I think being out a bit helps catch some of the reflected sound waves. Good stuff.

T-Man...

I live in Palatine too....when I move into my townhouse next month, you could come help me tune my quintet system..... cwm32.gif

ANyways, I need some pointers of how to setup my system in the new townhome....

What do u think of my system below

Integra 5.1 receiver

Quentets with KSW-10 sub

Konka DVD

SONY N81 VCR

SONY 32" WEGA TV

SONY MD

JVC 100 CD CHANGER

------------------

Ming Always Zigzaging Dangerously Along

R.I.P to The key of my success

http://www.blitzingperformance.com