RB-61 & RS-52 with a 140Wpc amplifier ?

ramiawad99

Hi,
I'm new to the home theater stuff and planning to build a 7.1 system, including RF-82 for front, RF-62 for center, RS-52 for surrounds, RB-61 for rears and RT-12d subwoofer, and I'm planning to get the Onkyo 876 A/V receiver, but it is a 140wpc and the RS-52 and RB-61 are both rated at 100 Watts, so will I damage the speakers if I connect them to this receiver ?
I like to play movies and music (in 7-channel stereo) LOUD and the room size is 19'X13'. And are they the right match to the front and center ? Thanks for the help.

Thanks for your reply, but if i turned them down, then will i have also to turn down all the other speakers in the system to keep it balanced with the front stage?

If that is true, then it seems that i will limit all the spaekers to keep up with the smallest speaker in the system ? So it will be like i'm using only 100Wpc on the reciver and getting only 100 Watts from the front and center speakers, even that i can feed them all the 140 Watts that the reciver have ?

Does a small compromise on the back and surronds will limit all the system output ? and if i used the larger RS-62 and RB-81 (rated 150 Watt) then i will be able to utilize all the power in the reciver and front stage speakers ?

Please help.

• Moderators

Notice I said, "if you are worried about them". I wouldn't be. LOL. Remember what the rear speakers are receiving...sound effects, rear fill, ambient noise. I doubt very seriously you have anything to worrry about but here's what I would do. Call Klipsch and ask them if they forsee a problem with you hooking them up to your amp. Also, your receiver will likely never hit the 140 watt/ch that it can produce.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,
I'm new to the home theater stuff and planning to build a 7.1 system, including RF-82 for front, RF-62 for center, RS-52 for surrounds, RB-61 for rears and RT-12d subwoofer, and I'm planning to get the Onkyo 876 A/V receiver, but it is a 140wpc and the RS-52 and RB-61 are both rated at 100 Watts, so will I damage the speakers if I connect them to this receiver ?
I like to play movies and music (in 7-channel stereo) LOUD and the room size is 19'X13'. And are they the right match to the front and center ? Thanks for the help.

No, you don't have to worry about it. At most typical (even pretty loud) listen levels, your receiver won't even put out near the max 140 watts rated. Even if it did, it will most likely be very quick transitory peaks, i.e., a sudden gun-shot sound effect in an action movie. And even so, most of the power is needed for the bass anyway, of which your planned RT-12d purchase, with its own 800 watt rated amp, will be more than capable of handling on its own.

You would have to crank your receiver up to full blast to get even close to the max rated wattage, and believe me, your ears will go before the speakers do at those kinds of listening levels. No, I would not be the least bit worried about it at all. In my own setup, my surrounds are only rated at 150 watts, yet I am feeding them with a 200 watt per channel B&K amp for the past 5 or so years and never a problem.