Stephens Tru-sonic info?

Ben Brill

John-

Retired? I wish!

Although I have experience in the retail audio business, I never owned a store. Most of this came from a collection I picked up last year. The "collector" was a semi-profesonal recording engineer in the 1950's. He was neurotic about paper and never threw anything out. He would write letters to manufacturers asking for info. (I have one binder just of mfr's replies, all on company stationery.) He would go to all the hifi shows ("Audio Fairs"in those days) and bring home literature. Not only would he write the date on things, he also kept everything in great condition.

In addition to the hifi lit, I have a lot of early pro literature which I will list after I complete the hifi. Phase two will be Ampex, Magnecord, Telefunken, Neumann, RCA, GE Broadcast, Western Electric, Studer and others.

Phase three will be back to hifi. I intend to scan ads form the High Fidelity magazines from the 1950's, as well as all the Audio Engineering/Audio from 1947 to 1963, the first years of Hi-Fi/Stereo review and some magazines you might not have heard of - Hi-Fi Music At Home, Audiocraft, and something called Modern Hi-Fi.

I might even list the covers and index pages from somwe of the magazines.

One thing I am anxious to get to is a page of Vintage Extrme Systems, the kind with built in horns in the basemment, early bi-amped and tri-amped systems, or anything over the top like that. Audio featured a lot of these on their covers.

I just put up soem E-V catalogs.

http://hifilit.com/hifilit/Electro-Voice/Electro-Voice.htm

I have most of the Audio mags from '51 to mid 70's. They are bound eds I obtained from a universty library that was planning on destroying them. I pleaded with a nationally recognized university president (no less) to save them from the furnace. I even contacted members of the BODs. The irony of it all, I'm envoking preservation of a "Truely American Heritage" and he arged that he material was deemed to have "no intellectual content". In the end I prevailed, I became a "library volunteer" and assisted in "pulling" the journals from the stacks.

• 7 years later...