Surround Sound Fronts

JohnWB

Hi All,

I am trying to pout together a 5.1surround sound system in a new greta room over my garage and am cluelessas to what to get for front speakers. I have a pair of RB-5 bookshelves that I have been using for years to listen to music and would like to incorporate them as the back speakers. I have a Harmon-Kardon AVR-85 receiver and do not want to break the bank on the rest of my speakers to complete the system. I would like speakers that sound good with the surround as well as with just music. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Well, how loud do you want to go? Whats the budget? Your over your garage so you should take advantage of that. I would recommend RF-7s for the front ($800.00-$1,000 in great condition). Or you save a little and get the RF-5s. Or you could spend a little more and get the RF-83s (1750.00 new and shipped). Or you could save a lot and get more RB-5s. Either way you should get a sub. I got a steal and got a RSW-15 for $450 but they usually sell for 1,000. At that price point you could get something from Epik or 2 used MFW-15s. There are a plethora of options here. I got modded RF-7s and the 15 and they are amazing for music and HT. The tricky part is matching the speakers but that depends on how picky you are. If I were you, I would get 2 7s, and RC-7, and whatever sub you can get your hands on that will keep up with the 7s. That means that you probably need to spend a good 500.00 and up for a good musical sub that can hit equivilant dbs as the 7s. Take a peak at AV123, Epik, SVS, HSU, ED, and Klipsch for subs. Good luck!

your going to get alot of suggestions as to what to get and it usually
with be 7 series of stuff which is great but may not be neccessary. AS
tommyboy said you could get RF 5s they go for 450-600 bucks in great
condition. Splurge and try to get an RC 7 (600 bucks or so), but IMHO
an RC 3 (RC 35 or RC 62 for around 200 bucks) would pair great with the
RF5s for movies. And For surrounds look at the matching surrounds say
RS 35 or RS 3 probably get a pair for 200 bucks. then use your
bookshelfs as rear surrounds and purchase a sub. Depending on the size
of your room and the % of music v movies get a sub. The 10in sunfire is
great with music in its mid bass and the SVS dominates in low bass and
sub sonic bass.