David Gilmour "Fat Old Sun"

Coytee

Setup:

I've got his Meltdown dvd and "Fat Old Sun" is on it. I've always found the song unimpressive and have simply come to hit the forward button.

I then bought his Albert Hall dvd and true to form, when Fat Old Sun came on, I hit forward, I never listened to it here either.

I recently bought his G'dansk dvd. This has 5 disks, some cd's and some dvd's. This song is not on the DVD which I actually took notice of. Seems it IS on the cd though.

Comment:

I had his cd in player as I was milling about the kitchen... (we made some pear butter from some pears we grew on the farm). I was focusing on task at hand and heard some guitar soaring that just sounded fantastic. I'd never heard it before but knew it HAD to be on the G'dansk cd that I was playing. I went out to system and hit replay and what surprise came upon me was... Fat Old Sun started playing again.

Perplexed... I listened to it again and indeed, he cranks it out at the end. Totally confused, I put the G'dansk dvd back in and proved to myself that it indeed was NOT on that disk. Now I'm kind of frustrated because it's a great song and I would have loved to seen him play it. Then, I pulled out the Meltdown dvd and played the same song.... and fought off going to sleep. I then pulled out the Albert Hall dvd and there it was, taped live!!

Seems this used to be a 3 minute song and that's the version on the Meltdown dvd. On these later recordings, it's now a 6+ minute song and the entire last 3 minutes is one of his guitar soliloquy's that I find most enjoyable.

So... if you've not heard the longer version of it and like his solo's, I urge you to take another listen to the 6 minute version.