Promedia 2.1 DIN cable DIY fix

Fendbass22

Yes, I am a step ahead of you, I already got everything needed to duplicate the factory cable but with my aftermarket lifetime guarantee connector on it. I have not made any yet as I am still busy repairing units coming in, lol. but i do have everything needed to begin and my asking price is going to be around $20 shipped. if I can get some time I will make a couple this week and have them ready for shipping. I have had the parts for about a month now and just need the available time, lol.

Thank you

Mister_Clean (on Ebay: mr_clean_ct)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is VERY good news!!!!!!! Consider me to be the first in line please.

E-mail me at RGFanatic@comcast.net when you are ready to go ahead.

as a side note.....This should really help out a LOT of pro media users. These really are great packages. I produce my own music here at home, and these klipsch speakers far outperform my studio monitors....for significantly less money!!!!!

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blue-Sky-MediaDesk-2.1-System?sku=609100

Thanks again Mr Clean!!!!

Ryc

you should not be using the klispch for producing music until the veryend to test the final sound of the mix. You should be using relatively flat response studio monitors. Klipsch's enhance certain frequencies kind if like an EQ, Studio Monitors are made to be flatter in response therefore giving a more accurate mix. once the mix is done you can listen to it on anything you want. Of course, I say this, yet I used to mix with my Klipsch too, lol. but not anymore. But yes, I will try what I can to get some done but as i said, I am pretty booked on time right now.

I used to use my blue sky's exclusively, But I found that my mix was never a good representation of the final sound from other audio sources (Home & car CD player,MP3 player...etc) I recently switched from CuBase 4le to CuBase 5 studio, but have not tried the BlueSky's with it (CB5s). I'm using Superior 2.0 Drum module for all my Drum tracks and thats where I had the worst problems with the BlueSky's..................Maybe they'll sound better with CB5 ???

Thanks Fendbass! My son knocked the sub off a shelf and snapped the DIN connector right off the cable. Luckily I came across your post. Went to Buy More (Best Buy) and picked up the exact Dynex cable for $3.24 (must've been on sale), soldered it exactly as you said and it works great! In fact, I think it's working better now because I was getting some static before the fall. Maybe there was a loose DIN connection or something because now it's crystal clear. Glad to have my speakers back! Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

lol, no. I made a quick attempt last week to make one up for you real quick but that crappy white connector end is prooving to be a little more difficult than I had imagined to crimp and put together, I keep over crimping or something and breaking the wire. I have not had the time lately to try again, but i am sure once I figure it out it should go okay, but not going as smooth as I had hoped. If I can find one of my pods that has bad circuitry then i can take the calbe from that and use it instead, but they are in storage right now and I am in no hurry to dig for them, lol.

Does anyone know what the wires actually carry?

IE +/- sub, +/- L, +/-R?

I'm using the speakers from this system for the rear satellites in my home theater system and I'l like to hook up the sub to the receiver also. The receiver has a line level subwoofer out, so all I need is to find out what wires are the subwoofer input.

Thanks

Andy

• 3 months later...

This is an alternative for the DIN commector splice with PS/2 mini Din Male to male by Micro connector from Frys for $3.95. The color cable match as follows:

Micro connector Kipsch

1: Green Green

2 yellow orange

3 orange brown

4 red red

5 brown yellow

6 black black

ground silver silver

It works perfectly mow for me.

• 2 months later...

Well, I replaced my din with the chart below and it worked great, thanks! But my dog ended up chewing the wire along with her bone months later, so I had to redo the fix.

However this time around, there is no woofer, and no light on the control speaker. The volume is very low on the control speaker, and the louder I turn the volume, the lower the sound gets! I have to turn the volume all the way DOWN to hear any sound at all, and it's very faint. Ear phones plugged into the control speaker sound fine.

The fuse in the woofer looks to be fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks!

Celia

Well I finally found a fix for my Promedia 2.1 DIN cable that had been missing the male end. My girlfriend moved the control POD without moving the sub/amp and removed the connector from the male end of the plug. I LOVED this setup and wanted to keep it.

So this repair is for a replacement male DIN connector:

Go to Best Buy and grab the Dynex (cheezy store brand) 6' PS/2 keyboard extension cord for $12. Model DX-C101681. Cut off the male plug and strip all wires. Cut off whats left of the male DIN cable connector on the Promedia and strip wires. Connect and solder the following colors:

Dynex Plug ----------------------- Promedia Stripped Wires

Brown ---------------------------- Orange

Black ----------------------------- Brown

White ----------------------------- Yellow

Orange --------------------------- Black

Green ----------------------------- Green

Red -------------------------------- Red

Connect silver ground wires that are uncovered. Solder and tape each individual soldered pair and crank it up!

Welcome to the forum.

Do you still have the original DIN connector?

I did this 4 years ago and just carefully cut open the bad (original) connector... Looking at the colored wires from the old plug; I was able to splice (solder after) the old wires; one by one (clockwise in order). I used a $5.29 radio shack S video connector. Still works till this day.

I believe the Klipsch color schemes have changed at least once, maybe more......

Good Luck.

• 5 weeks later...

The instructions were in the listing, You color match each wire, green to green, yellow to yellow, etc... Also, make sure to connect the shielding of the klipsch cable to the non-insulated (bare wire) in my DIY Repair Cable. There should not be any guess work to do with this at all. Please read the item description on ebay, you should not have left me a Neutral feedback, you should have contacted me directly through my Email or throguh ebay messaging. that isn't fair.

Sorry that you feel theNeutral was a bad reflection on your service. I figured I could change it in the future. I was continually pestered to give a rating. Im disabled and cant do the repair job myself. So, I had to find someone else to do the work. I did not get any paper work when I received my cable and not contact info (ie email address) to contact you. Just a cable.

Sorry, I dont recal there being any wire conection guide online. I did try to find you online again at eBay but had no luck. eBay and I just cant get along. After you buy stuff, within days you cant seem to find the links to my purchases. So I searched IE and found this site. Then I asked.I was just looking again at eBay and I still cant find your site.

Sorry, Ithought a Netral was fair from where I was looking. Neutral was, I needed more time as I was not able to see if your cable worked yet or not. I need to find your ebay site and find another person whom can repair/try again to redo my cable.

Mike

you should be able to look up any items that you have purchased from ebay in your ebay page, and if you lookup account histroy and payments made etc you would find my information, I am not hidden at all. Feedback can be retracted and I am certainly willing to help you out for a retraction of the feedback. Do you still have the cable I sent you? if yes it gets connectod by matching the colors as you go, and the non-insulated wire goes to the Klispch cable surrounding ground wire. each wire is to be taped as you go to avoid one wire from shorting out against another. If you can't manage the work yourself or find someone local to help you then I can offer to have to send the items to me and i will do the work. But I would ask that you pay shipping. or I can repalce the DIN with a high quality one for a little more money and if the cable i sent you is still in good condition I would accept a return of it and refund the purchase price. my ebay store is available throguh ebay, my id mr_clean_ct. The new stock of cable is not the same as what you ordered so the new ebay ad is different.

I never meant to say that you intentionaly hid your page. I just could not find the page. I cant get anyone yet to send you my cable or other. I'll hope to find someone to re try your cable. The guy before, we did match as best we could. But not all of the colors matched. So we guessed. Hope to try again soon.

there is only one color that did not match with the repair cables and that was the brown wire, in the klipsch it is a nice dark brown, on my repair cable it is a lighter brown almost a peach type color, but all other colors matched and the non insulated wires have to be connectod together as well for it to work, all steps that I have mentioned were all written into my ebay ad before this cable was purchased as well. and your paypal/ebay history should allow for you to contact me in a few ways. yet no contact attempy was ever made. So I hope you can see why I am upset.

I do not understand why you are upset, M\y goodness. I tried to explain myself so you could understand why I did what I did. Im not a pro eBay user nor do I pretend to be, I thought I was being fair, neitbher bad nor good. Still working on it. Then Ik figured you might understand, Nope, your upset. If this thing makes you upset, you must lead an easy life. Im sorry your upset. But if you want a Positive rating, I think you "could" try and be a bit undxerstanding. I never meant you to get upset.

Sorry, I still cant find where my eBay receipt is to see my purchase. Thx for the info on the cable. I hope to find someone to redo it, and soon.

I neutral is still a damaging rating, I have done everything I could do for you up to this point, I have even offered to have you send me your stuff and I would do it for you. You would have been better off not leaving any feedback at all. it damages my reputation when I have had hundreds of satisified customers from the same product. Whenever anyone has a problem, they contact me and I do what I can to help them out, the same would apply to you. That is why I am upset, I go above and beyond for my customers. Let me know how things turn out. or contact me through my email if you need anything else. damagetone@aim.com