12v Trigger solution

InVeNtOr

Edit:

if you have a receiver that doesn't have a 12v trigger or a receiver like mine (onkyo tx-sr805) that turns off rear channels if you use the trigger, i have a solution for you. go to radio shack and purchase an A/C to D/C power adapter (pn# 273-029)and then you get to choose which connector adapter you want. you will most likely want the mono mini 1/8" jack (pn# 273-1709). plug that into your receiver and when you turn your receiver on, the adapter will send the voltage to what ever 12v you need. the part number i listed was for an adapter that i could choose the voltage. i personally felt that was the best choice, and i selected 6v on it. it works just as i wanted it to. i turn on the receiver and that turns on my furman, which in turn, turns on my amp, playstation2, power antanna, and dvd player. when the receiver is off, all the electric current to those devices are off, no lights, no electricity, nothing.

the power adapter cost me $21.64 with tax, and like i said, the mini jack adapter was free. i hope this helps someone out because it sure made me happy!

thanks for all the advice

for reference: i have an Onkyo TX-SR805

the plan from the start was to have my furman and my emotiva amp connected with a 12v trigger to the receiver. i was going to have the PS2, Emotiva, and Toshiba all on the lower circuits on the Furman. that way there would be no power at all to them, no lights, nothing. then when i would turn on the Onkyo the 12v trigger would turn those two items on. seemed like a great idea.

heres the problem, the 805 12v trigger only turns on when you turn on zone 2. when zone 2 is on, you loose your 2 rear channels making it a 5.1. well that sucks because i have a 7.1 all mounted in my room. so now to get my amp on i have to physically push the switch because there is no remote to it. i also have to leave the furman bypassed so all the outlets work. i guess i am cheap because i don't like having all those items on 24/7.

so my question is between the comparable Dennon, Pioneer, Yammy, and other Onkyos, which one of those receivers has a 12v trigger that doesn't cut off the rear surrounds? i have to get rid of this onkyo, it's useless to me. when i try to look up the models all it says is they have a 12v trigger but not at what cost. so if anyone has one of these and knows first hand about the 12v trigger please let me know. monday morning i will be on the phone with all the different tech supports to find out the in's and out's of their receivers.....

heres the problem, the 805 12v trigger only turns on when you turn on zone 2

Sorry to hear but check out page 13 in the manual, it's number 14. It does say that the trigger is only for zone 2. Why don't you plug in the amp right into the receiver. This way when the receiver is turned on the amp will turn on.

Does the PS2 work turn on with how you currently have it hooked up? If so then you will be set with the amp plugged into the Onkyo.

James

if i plug it into the receiver then i don't get the amp help with the furman. everything has to be pluged into the furman. when i bought the onkyo i really didn't understand the 12v trigger, unfortunally i do now. i may just have to buy a new receiver. i saw the yammy 3800 in BB for $1100, don't know if thats a good deal, but it did have 2 12v triggers. also the denon 2808ci was there for $1000, it too have 2 12v triggers.

i may just put the onkyo up for sale . i still have everything for it, and i haven't even been able to use it.

like i said eariler, the goal was to conserve electricity and have the WOW effect with a one button push and all the lights would come one and start working.

well i really can't do that. i just had a et center built and i don't have room for another amp.

i have an idea.....

i did some searching......found out about "Wall Warts." what i didn't see is a wall wart with a 1/8" mini mono plug. i was wondering if anyone knew or knew if it was possible to buy a 12v wall wart and reterminate the end with a 1/8" mini mono plug or maybe an adapter? that way i can plug it into the receiver (antanna will have to find a new home) and when the receiver gets turned on, the wall wart will be the new 12v trigger. sounds simple....just need the wall wart now.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-V750 receiver with a 12V trigger that I've connected to one of my Yamaha power amps. These amps have a 12V trigger input and output, so the first amp's 12V output is connected to the second Yamaha power amp's 12V input, and I could "daisy-chain" as many more amps as I want. When I turn on the receiver, both power amps come on and when I switch it off, both power amps switch off.

The power amps and the subwoofer are powered from a Tripp-Lite Isobar surge protector, and the receiver and the rest of the system are connected to a second Tripp-Lite Isobar. The Isobars are connected to different outlets, but are on the same circuit. I had a hum issue at first, which was solved by running a ground wire from one amp to the next, then to the ground connector on the receiver.

In this model at least, the 12V trigger does nothing but turn on or off whatever's connected to it. It makes no other difference to this receiver.

man that sounds nice. wish my onkyo would do that. now i know not to buy another one, unless they fix that issue. all is well now, i edited the first post. my furman has an input/output so i connected my amp that way. both the receiver and amp only have a 12v input.