Set up questions-Yamaha RX-V663

carbon summit

I used the auto setup function on my 663 when I first set it up and was happy over all with the sound.

To complicate matters I recently bought all of my equipment. Speakers and receiver are all new to me so I don't really have a benchmark as to what they should or could sound like, I only know they sound much better that my old stuff!!

When I first used the auto setup the speakers I was using was a pair of 5.2's up front and a pair of 3.2's in the rear and a KV-2 for center. No sub or any 7.1 stuff. I thought it sounded great but a less bass than I expected so I've ordered a Sub-10 which I should receive in a few days. I was pretty disappointed in the bass from the 5.2's. I expected more.

My original plan was to go with Chorus or Chorus II's for the front, an Academy for a center and the 3.2's in the rear. The guy I bought my Academy and 3.2's from was using that line up and was happy with it. I didn't buy his Chorus because shipping would be so expensive and planned to buy locally instead when a pair popped up. I found the 5.2's close to home and picked them up because they were in great shape, cheap and would match the 3.2's. Then found a package deal with a pair of 2.5's and a KV-2. I figured the Academy would be too much center for the 5.2's so I should get something smaller and I could use the 2.5's in a 7.1 if I ever go that way.

OK, where am I going with this long story you ask. I hooked the Academy up for the first time with my new receiver and redid the auto set up just to see how it all sounds. I was blown away with how much better the system sounded. Yeah a KV-2 is no match for the Academy, that isn't where I'm going. Everything sounded better. The bass response from both the 5.2's and the 3.2's was great. So I switched from DVD to CD and again I was blown away with difference. The 5.2's have bass now. I still think I'll be glad I ordered the sub but the whole system sounded so much richer and fuller now.

So my question is do you think the 663 is holding the rest of the system back to match the KV-2?

I guess I didn't try the 2ch setting to listen to music before I hooked the Academy up and redid the set up. I listened to it in 7ch stereo and tried both straight enhancer and 7ch enhancer. Maybe in 2ch it would have sounded better. Maybe the 663 would only factor the 5.2's in to it's sound setting for the 2ch.

I'm really considering using the Academy as my center. It sounds good with the 5.2's, maybe the 663 is doing a good job of blending them. I look at the specs on the 5.2's and the Academy and since they don't have the same tweeters I'm not sure if the timbre is right or not but it sounds good to my novice ears. But I don't want to use Academy if I can get the 663 setup to where the 5.2's can have the snap and bass that I'm hearing right now. I want to avoid using the Academy because right now the only place for me to put a center is on top the TV and the Academy is HUGE! I'm afraid my 6 year old son will somehow knock it off and at worst have it fall on him or at the very least damage the speaker.

So again do you think the 663 is holding the rest of the speakers back to match the KV-2 and if does anyone with experience with the 663 see an easy fix? I want to avoid doing a manual set up because I'll agonize over the settings and never think it sounds right. Is there a way to use the auto but some how have the settings work the way I want? Right now I use front for the parametric equalizer type when I do the set up. My other choices are flat and natural.

I'm sure as soon as I post this I'll go back to experimenting with the different settings, but I thought I'd ask here so I don't have to reinvent the wheel if someone has already figured this out.

I've noticed this in my setup and I'm not sure if a great center channelhelps that much or after upgrading my center channel the receiver was able to step up to the task. I think it's a little of both. I think Ones system is only as good as the cheapest comonent. Mine was my center channel, after upgrading it just recently Movies sound fuller, the Eq sounds better with 2 ch listening as well as the 2ch decoders everything sounds better.

On the onkyo I ahve it seems to actually sound better when at or near reference level so that's where I listen to it at. between 0dB and -10dB (-15dB).

Play around some and you'll find what you like.

I set mine up manually from the primary viewing/listening position. As I am running a different brand rear tower, I needed to compensate for the efficiency difference. I run 7 channel stereo for all normal music and TV viewing with Sci-fi for DVD movies.

The most important speaker in any HT is your center. You start here with a SPL meeter...

Then you do the other speakers... So center...left, right, SR, SL, BSR, BSL... and do not forget your sub, too.

My guess was because your center was not able to sound fuller and have pretty good FRQ response the SPL's it used and checked did compensate the others..

Glad your happy now.. People knock Yamaha, but get into the mid levels on up, they are really pretty good.

One last note, trust the meter.. Not your ears... Live with it for a while too... DO NOT CHANGE IT!!!!

That said.... I found the surround backs... up 2db -3db after everything was set helped a little, and I could finally hear them fill in just a tad which is what you want! (So see, I broke my own rule...LOL). Picky also felt this helped his theater so big or small rooms this helps!!!

But you might be surprised how off it looks on the SPL meter, only to feel how balanced it is... That is, if you leave every setting alone for a while. And were all tinker - ers. Fight your need to tinker, and leave it alone!! . Do the rears later..

When your done and ready to test it, put in a good DVD or Blue Ray DVD movie!! NOT broadcast TV, as they do weird stuff audio wise and are not always good sources for audio consistently. TNT usually has too much bass, for instance LOL.. CBS sounds when graphics come in or out have to have a audio trailer...LOL Whoooosh, Ziiip, Crunch of metal...LOL.. It is all good.. But not a good judge of balance you just did! You will find who does what, over time.

Enjoy!