Bi-amping KLF-30's.... questions!

HRDROKN

Hey Guys....

Been looking around for a couple of weeks now... I have been looking for any pertinent information in regards to bi-amping KLF-30's. I'm really interested in the Bob Crites x-overs for the KLF's, but I'm not sure that with bi-amping that I will be just wasting money? As it looks like I will be just needing the high pass portion of the x-over and the low pass will be accomplished with the active x-over? I could e-mail Mr. Crites and see iff he can build me a mid/high without the low.

My manual specs my low/mid pass at 800HZ, so in choosing the active x-over point would I want to be right at 800HZ or just above or below?

I really like my KLF's, but I must say that the horns can get a bit abrasive at high volume levels.... so I'm thinking that I would want to run a softer amp up top. I guess I should say that I have all Carver gear... and mostly modified amps: TFM-35x @ 346W/452W; M-1.0 @ 460W/510W and a stock M-500t @ 250W/350W... 8/4 ohm respectively.

Thoughts and/or directions... much appreciated!

HRDROKN

I really like my KLF's, but I must say that the horns can get a bit abrasive at high volume levels....

How far away is the wall behind the 30's? My RF-7's are 1.5' away from the wall and I put Auralex acoustic foam on the wall behind the horn only. This helped mellow out the highs in addition to treating early reflection points.

Are you looking to passively bi-amp the 30's (Fool's bi-amp)..........or do a "true bi-amp" configuration?

I want to do the active x-over deal.... not sure if I want to run it vertical or horizontal. I like the vertical configuration for the fact that the low channel can borrow from the channel running the mid/high frequency if needed. I like the horizontal idea as I could run a softer "t" function amp to the mid/highs. I just need to play around with it. I'm already knee deep in amps so the only additional cost is in the x-over and cables.

I have 25" from the back wall and 18" from the side wall with a 12' room width.... this was a compromise from the theoretical ideal position, but that's just all the room I have. How high did you run the acoustic foam? And just on the back wall... not the sides?

Does anyone know what the nominal impedance is for the 12's ... I'm guessing two 4 ohm in series?

Thanks!

Since there is some eq built into the crossover, unless you passively bi-amp or use a crossover with a built in eq you can modify, you might not like the resultant sound. Since the tweeters can be a little hot, as you are alluding to, padding them down may be the most cost effective measure. Many of us have tons of electronic equipment around from experimenting (left over because the experiment didn't yield specific results) so simple crossover mods might be the way to go. This will let you produce a frequency balance you would like better. I found padding down just the tweeter made the klf-30's much better especially when played fairly loud.

I have 25" from the back wall and 18" from the side wall with a 12' room width.... this was a compromise from the theoretical ideal position, but that's just all the room I have. How high did you run the acoustic foam? And just on the back wall... not the sides?

Yes, the sides also (reflection points).

I want to do the active x-over deal.... not sure if I want to run it vertical or horizontal.

[:D]I'm not quite sure what you mean by vertical or horizontal..........do you plan on removing the balancing network or leaving it intact?

I want to do the active x-over deal.... not sure if I want to run it vertical or horizontal.

Big SmileI'm not quite sure what you mean by vertical or horizontal..........do you plan on removing the balancing network or leaving it intact?

Vertical would be running one amp to each channel, rather than one to the mid/high and the other to the low (horizontal).

m

So if I go this route.... do the back wall and the sides, so how far forward of speaker and how far above?

m

What you can do..........is sit in the sweet spot and have someone run a mirror along the side walls at the same height as the tweeters. When you can see the reflection of one of the speakers, that is a reflection point and an absorption panel would be placed there. There will be two reflection points on each side wall.

So if I go this route.... do the back wall and the sides, so how far forward of speaker and how far above?

m

What you can do..........is sit in the sweet spot and have someone run a mirror along the side walls at the same height as the tweeters. When you can see the reflection of one of the speakers, that is a reflection point and an absorption panel would be placed there. There will be two reflection points on each side wall.

There are actually similar ones on the floor & ceiling as well....