YAMAHA 1800 & Onk 805

mils

Now I have Yamaha 1800 with RF-63 RC-64 and RS-52. I have a chance to get a onkyo 805. I don't know if this change is good. Is onkyo 805 better than Yamaha 1800 in both movie and 2ch music? Is Onkyo powerful? I still keep finding receiver to make perfect match with my Klipsch.Thanks.

• Moderators

I have an Onkyo 703 (100 watts x 7) and the Yamaha 1800. I really love the Yamaha with my Rf-83's and RC-7. Sound is dynamic, powerful and very musical in 2 channel. My Onkyo was excellent for movies but to me it does not separate instruments as well as the Yamaha. This is a personal preference of mine. As far as is Onkyo powerful, mine would absolutely crank my 83's without any distortion whatsoever. I personally think it would be a lateral move at best, not really an upgrade.

• Moderators

I was more than pleased with my older HK AVR55 for 2 ch. Separation of instruments was heavenly. HT was only ok but it did not have DTS either. Also, 55 watt/ch was not enough to reach reference levels for me without breaking up. I haven't heard any of their newer units.

The 2ch of 1800 is a little soft.

Hi mils, I took delivery of the RX-v1800 last week and I do agree that 2 ch can sound soft unless used in the Pure Direct mode which cleans things up considerably. The Straight PCM and 2 ch Stereo options do not sound anywhere near as good in my opinion. I've also noticed that the YPAO can affect sound quality for better or worse depending on the settings in the particular system. Not using the YPAO at all sounds sharper and clearer in my system, but not better so I do use the YPAO although with some changes to speaker size and crossover frequency. I purchased the Yamaha over the Onkyo based on many reviews that suggested the Yamaha superior in 2 ch, and the Onkyo runs so hot that Circuit City had none of the floor examples plugged in (either to prevent fires, lost sales or both). I'd suggest playing and tweaking the Yamaha a bit further and perhaps you'll find the sound you're looking for.

Thanks all! Your suggestion are very precious to me because there are few klipsch owner in my place.

Maybe I must try some other adjustment to increase the middle and bass range to make YAMAHA perfect.

RF-63 is a nice speaker and I don't know if RF-83 is better.

If I don't care the bass, power and only focus on middle ,high frequency, sound quality, is RF-83 better?

I was more than pleased with my older HK AVR55 for 2 ch. Separation of instruments was heavenly. HT was only ok but it did not have DTS either. Also, 55 watt/ch was not enough to reach reference levels for me without breaking up. I haven't heard any of their newer units.

I replaced my Outlaw receiver with a H-K AVR254&354 until the Emo preamp comes out. Their power is still rated low compared to the other big names (Maybe they're just being honest?), but the pre-amp section is pretty clean. I don't know about the internal amp though - I haven't used it except for the rear surrounds.