Opinions on HK Citation II

jtkinney

I have an old Harmon Kardon Citation II tube amp built in the late 50's or early 60's. It has 4 KT88's for 60w out. I have read comments about a lot of tube amps on this board, but never this one. The last time this one was plugged in it had a terrible hum, so I know it needs TLC to put back into service.

Is it any good? Is it worth rebuilding?

Thanks.

------------------

Jim

1979 La Scala's

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

hkII.jpg

The Citation II is DEFINITELY worth rebuilding with good components. It probably needs the PS caps replaced at the very least as that is usually the number one cause of that hum (can be other things as well but the PS caps are probably sour). IT has great iron...and a loyal following to boot. But it IS a unique design internally. Still, give it a go! You are lucky to have it!

kh

ps- No mdeneen, the reason why you hear so much about SET MANIA is that this is a forum for speakers that range in the high 90dB all the way out to 106dB.... which is the perfect candidate for SET amps. And I love push pull and SET. But a SET amp brings the music to an intimate level that surpasses push pull. But I do like both. Actually, most within here have never heard a top quality SET amp so not sure what you are talking about. I can count the SET users on one hand.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-05-2002 at 12:51 PM

Heck,

I don't even know what a SET amp is...or a push pull for that matter.

That picture tho' reminds me of crap I used to find lying around in the bottom of rubbish piles or stacked away in the corner of a garage.

Help a guy out - what do those terms mean? And why do those archaic thing-a-mig-jigs inspire such passion?

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

Pleaser forward all your junk from garage to my house. Email for address.

As for SET and Push Pull explanation:

SET: Stupefying Enigmatic Talisman

Push Pull: Feeling in morning when there is work to do and a mdeneen post waiting

All other answers are incomplete.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Well that helped. cwm1.gif

Doesn't matter. Don't need to know the terminology. I am gonna get me one of those EICO do-hickies just to hear the difference - should be a real conversation starter when my friends come over and ask "What is that old junk on the entertainment center."

Oh yeah! You tube guys should love this:

CD-T100A.jpg

Isn't that the prettiest darn CD player you have ever seen? Maybe I will stick that next to the EICO.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200