Multichannel receiver recommendations for Klipschorn + Belle system?

DTLongo

I have a dedicated audio system of two 2003 Klipschorns and a 2004 Belle center channel. Some of you may recall my saga told here of frustration with several newer home theater receivers (designed for use with powered subwoofers) in that the Khorns sound bass-shy and and thin with them. So, I am running the Khorns happiily with an old vintage 1990 Pioneer VSX-5700s Pro-Logic receiver. That beloved old receiver does a really superb, tube-like job of making those Khorns sing including in the bass. But being an obsolescent pro-logic receiver with a synthesized-derived center channel, it feeds basically only an AM-radio audio quality signal to the center Belle.

So, I am in the market early next year for a new multichannel receiver that will do justice to both the Khorns and Belle. Cost hopefully not to exceed $1,000. If possible I would like a receiver that offers pre-out, main-in connections on at least the two front main channels. Presumably, a receiver good enough to offer such would fill the audio-quality bill as well, but it were still bass shy I could plug an outboard equalizer into the circuit.

I will be grateful for your recommendations!

Using the Yamaha RX-v1800 and very happy with its sound on Klipsch. 6ave.com has it for $763 plus tax, free shipping. It has 4 HDMI inputs, the latest codecs and sounds great in 2ch on their Pure Direct mode... oh, and it's simple to use and set up. Good luck in your search!

DTLongo, said:"So, I am in the market early next year for a new multichannel receiver that will do justice to both the Khorns and Belle. Cost hopefully not to exceed $1,000."

I'm not sure $1000 will do Khorns justice, maybe $10,000! It's time to think about seperates, you have the loudspeakers already.

Thanx, Russ

P.S. Where on the eastern shore are you? I miss my home state badly during crab season. The best I can do out here (Cali-forn-ya) is a can of Phillips crab meat and grandma's recipe cakes!

"P.S. Where on the eastern shore are you? I miss my home state badly during crab season. The best I can do out here (Cali-forn-ya) is a can of Phillips crab meat and grandma's recipe cakes!"

I'm in Delmar MD, just outside Salisbury. Lived in Ocean City some seven years and then Ocean Pines before moving inland here in '06 to be a little safer from the eventual likes of Katrina. If you're fond of Phillips, get ahold of a book called "Empires of the Crab" by Dale Cathell. It is an affectionate biography of the Phillips family and is full of Eastern Shore-ish lore. For example, the proper pronunciation is arsters, not oysters. The book is on Amazon and the one customer review of it there is mine.

Update report. The decision has boiled down to whether to go with used or new. I considered the B&K used AVR receiver being offered on Audiogon for $650.00. Per the seller's description that sounded like a sweet unit, but the seller purchased it used and was to get back to me with when it was made, he thought ca. 2001. But after reflection I decided to go with new and have just pulled the trigger on an Outlaw Audio combo comprised of their Model 970 tuner/preamp/processor + Model 7075 75-wpc 7.1 power amplifier, combo price $999.00. Ouch, Merry Xmas. But hey, $1K to power a top of the line Klipschorn + Belle array that cost me $9K new in 2003-4 doesn't sound unreasonable. Or so I'm telling myself :)

I'll post pictures of the Outlaw units after I get them. In the meanwhile, here is a current picture of the speaker array.

forums

post-10590-13819427865956_thumb.jpg

Pleasant surprise. When I got the electronic invoice from Outlaw they charged me only $899.00 for the two units. They plugged in a holiday discount knocking 10% off the quoted $999 price, which was itself a combo price some $400 less than what they said they usually charge for the two units. So, it appears I am getting myself a quite good deal.

The Outlaw Model 970 tuner/processor/preamp arrived yesterday (Thursday) aftternoon via UPS. Astonishingly fast since I ordered it only a couple of days ago. It looks like a solid, beefy serious unit. I guess the Model 7075 power amp will arrive tomorrow which means I have to hang around to sign for it. Oh well, life is hard. Fortunately, I'm retired :)