ALK CROSSOVERS-WOW!

johns02

Dan,

DON'T do it! I have no idea of the efficiency of that tweeter and if it isn't the same as the K77 everything will be wrong! I will bet you that tweeter is lower efficiency than the K77! I'll almost GUARANTEE it's lower! frown.gif

By the way, for people with Cornwalls, there is no reason to use 400V FastCaps. The 250V PA### are fine. The voltages in a crossover network are nowhere near that high even at ear-splitting levels!

Al K.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al,

geez...

now I'm really confused. Here's a snippet of dialogue we had on March 21:

Dan McAdam says:

>-Would you be willing to provide a guiding hand if I attempt to modify your

>Cornwall design to my Heresys?

Al says:

The only thing necessary is to move the taps on the autotransformer down

one (both squawker and tweeter) and change the value of the swamping

resistor connected from tap 5 to ground (tap 0). I think it it drops to 4.7

Ohms, but I will have to verify that.

what up bro?

Dan,

Sorry. I didn't realize you had a different tweeter and you got to remember that I have been thinking about the Cornwall. I don't know much about the Heresy. I don't have one!

If you can find out the sensivity of each of the drivers in the Heresy II I might be able to adapt it though. It's not just a matter of moving the taps unless you can move the squawker and tweeter taps together by the same amount.

Al K.

that's cool Al,

I've been trying to piece together enough information to try and modify your Cornwall I design for my Heresys by talking with you and with Paul Keller.

What I was trying to do was get all the information up front before I took my Heresy's apart. But, it looks like thats what I need to do (since the back doesn't come off the Heresy IIs).

I'll pull the guts out and post some photos and detail all the specs. Then we can go from there, ok?

I really can't even listen to my Hereseys at this point (no, they're not that bad, or broken or anything). I just find that they stress my ears out, even at low volumes. I've analyzed it (subjectively) and think that my auditory system is 'tensing up' when I listen to the Heresys. Its actually a phenomenon known as 'acoustic reflex' (a personally variable physiological muscle contraction of the stapedius muscle in the middle ear cavity in response to loudness. It serves a natural protective function to 'dampen' the ossicles (the 'hammer, anvil, and stirrup') bones in the middle ear.) When you experience this muscle contraction repeatedly in a short time or for extended periods, the muscles in your skull and upper jaw area get stressed out too and so on and so forth....

anyway, my previous experience with Klipsch speakers has been with the Corner Horns and the La Scalas, and I think I'm going to have to move up to La Scalas to get the sound I'm looking for.

We'll see, after I get these Hereseys modified.

thanks everyone, this is a really great resource, and I hope to be able to give back for all the help I'm getting here...

later Al,

Dan

Al,

in reference to your information on modifying your crossover design for the Heresy IIs:

please check out this url: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1225143548

I'm interested to know if you think it possible to replace the tweeter in my H2s with these K-77s, and also to see what you make of the claims this guy is stating in the description of these horns.

Paul K, please chime in....

thanks guys

Dan

Al,

I'm going to attempt to extract my crossover this weekend and photograph it. Presumably, I'll be able to jot down whatever is written on the parts I can see.

Do you know of anyone who has the schematic for the H2 network?

(you're Belles are looking better all the time, Al!!)

best,

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded the design file for the Khorn Xover. In the part list file (parts.txt) there is an item listed as:

Item

2.2 uFd. +-5% Hovland Music-cap

I understand this to be a 2.2 "micro" Farad capacitor.

On the www.madisound.com page there is only a 2.2 mFd. I would understand that to be a 2.2 "milli" Farad capacitor. Is one of these a misprint or I am I just dumb?

• 2 months later...

Saved By The Klipsh: just ordered my ALK upgrades for my pair of 1978 KHorns...

bought 'em when I was an intern. Had already 'upgraded' them with the AA Crossover

network...now, want even better, as my hearing is not what it used to be (jazz / rock / blues

drumming for over 30 years!!) Can't wait to get them...and revitalize my 'drums.' Will let ya'll know

how they sound...!

------------------

"Your Vacuous Message Here"

Al et al...

Last weekend I reassembled my Cornwalls (disassembled so I could repaint the flat black in a satin black) and installed Al's crossovers. I'm not enough of an audiophile to give a detailed review but here's my report.

They now sound wonderful and sweet...a couple of years ago I had decided either they had become too harsh or my ears had aged since I got them in the late 70's. As I aged I started listening to music more and more on my old Stax headphones and stopped using speakers. I had looked around and found B&W made a nice line of speakers and I'd get a pair...never got it done.

Now the cornwall's "harshness" is gone and the speakers sound "airy" and "unstrained". This is with my old Adcom solid state separates...I've yet to bring my ebayed McIntosh separates up.

Thanks Al and everyone who lead me to Al.

Best regards...charles

I also have upgraded to the ALK x-overs in my Belles.

I had been listening them for a few weeks when I found my K-horns.

The difference in the sound is hard for me to describe also, I can say what I think someone else said about the ALKs in another tread...It is as if a veil has been lifted from the music. Everything just seems cleaner/clearer. These x-overs are a great upgrade, certainly worth the $$.

I have put my Belles aside for now, as I am enjoying my K-horns. After I dampen the horns and get used to my new sound I will be moving the ALKs into the K-horns.

Kudos to Al for producing such a GREAT product!

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 07-27-2001 at 08:57 AM