should i build discontinued reference 35 set?

jwatson364

i currently am working on the new icon series, and i got the vf-35 towers which sound great, but have no bass at all....the center channel icon doesnt look to have very good specs, nor do the other speakers in the icon series....

vanns has a sale with the rf-35 towers (duel 8's) for only 299 each which is exactly what i paid for my icons at bestbuy on blackfriday....

should i take back my icon towers (triple 5.25's) for the discontinued rf-35's????

another point to make is the discontiued reference 35's all have much higher db than the icon series....

anyone know how long bestbuy will take to refund my money back to my credit card/debit card if i return them today?

thanks!!

The RF 35 series was the most popular ever sold by Klipsch. Myself, I found the Reference series hurt my ears after listening for prolonged periods.

I did not find this with the Icon series. With there sub (500 model) I noticed excellent Bass and a clean , crisp sound that was pleasing to my Ears.

B/B I think has a 30 day return policy, generally. You'd have to check with them as to the "black Friday" sales to see if any thing is different as to returns or credit..............Check your Receipt for clairification...................

Bottom line trust your Ears and buy what you can Afford ......................

JMHO.............

You said you like the sound of your current towers, so why buy different ones? Just because the center may not seem good doesn't mean it isn't. Try the center out, and if you don't like it, take it back. As far as black friday deals go, I don't think you can return anything not defective. I say keep the icons....... but I've never heard them before.......

If I'm understanding your post, you have only the VF-35s and no sub?

I wouldn't expect there to be much bass from three 5 1/4 drivers.

If you haven't heard the icon x-series subs, do yourself a huge favor and listen to the xw-300d and the 500d. Even the teensy-tiny 8" xw-300d will impress. They will match your towers wonderfully.

yeah i really like the icons v35, they are my first klipsch towers, but i hear everyone ranting and raving about the reference series and they have them at the same price as my icons....i wish i knew about vanns before i got my stuff....

i was gonna match my icons with the synergy sub12 tho.... i luv the sub12 i used to own it, but its gone now.....does the icon series match up to it?

just one of those statements....if you are looking at getting the rf-35's.....i would try getting a set of rf-3's. somethimes people sell the entire set up. Falcon has a real nice pair for $350, but i think they are promised to someone else right now. i have seen complete sets on craigslist.

just another thought if you want to go reference....

as far as subs go, i bought elemential designs A2-300 and it blows my synergy ksw-12 sub out of the water. it's not even a fair fight between the two. the eD sub goes down to 18hz and the ksw-12 was 24hz, i think.

jwatson, where do you live? there is a set of rf-3's on craigslist in dallas for $650. that includes all 5 speakers and boxes! i don't think you will be able to get it, there is about 3 people i know in line to buy them. just letting you know, you can get a really good set of rf-3's for not that much money.

good luck in your search....

im new to klipsch speakers, but my icon v35's kick the s*&t out of every speaker system i ever heard at anyones house!!!

they do kick asp, but without a sub yet, it has me thinking upgrade while i can....but i think once i get the sub12 or two sub12's , i will be in luv!!!

my buddy has one sub12, so i may need two to put him to shame!!!

• 2 years later...

I recently purchased my VF 35 towers from Vann's also. These are great speaker. I have a VC 25 center, VB 15 surrounds and VS14 for Front Height speakers in my HT. I you like music listening, which sound like you do : ), just add a sub. The center channel is easy to hear the voice track if the receiver is setup correctly. By that I mean you can't stray to far from the autocalibration setting. I also have an 8in Klipsch sub which provides me all the bass in need. Your ears will be happy and don't buy speakers just on reading spec. I also have Klipsch satellites to complete my 9.1 setup and could not be happier. You can't beat the great bargin that Vann's has going on!