Need help to choose rear speakers.

Jocke

Allright,

This is my absolute first post ever on this forum.

I'm in the market for some rear speakers.

Right now I have the RF-82 as front.

The RC-52 as center.

The RS-52 as side sourrounds.

The RSW-10d as a Sub.

They are all connected to a Pioneer Elite Reciever VSX-01 THM with Liberty Wire Ultracap 12 AWG cable and a PS3.

Now, my Room is VERY small. The Dimensions are 10 ft. from front to rear wall. 15 Ft. between the side walls. I dont have any choice to make it any other way because of having the entrance on the left and the exit to the kitchen to the right and the steady traffic in my front door.. The sofa is pretty much 1 ft from the rear wall. I've been looking at another pair of the RS-52's but reading around in this forum would suggest Direct radiating speakers such as RB-61 or RB81.So, what shall I do? Should I get the dipoles RS-52's or any of the RB-61 or RB-81?

I'm new in this area so please excuse my newbie way of asking.

I mostly watch movies such as Starwars, Lord of the Rings and Narnia.

Any good suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

First and foremost, welcome to the forum!!! Always use bookshelves as rear surrounds, and WDST speakers as sides. I think the RB 61 would do the job quite well. The rear surrounds sort of get ignored, and get the least amount of action, so the 81's would be over kill. But, before you get any rear surrounds, I suggest upgrading your current center. The RC52 probably struggles to stay with the 82's. And, if you did upgrade your center, you could use your current one as a single rear surround, in 6.1 for the time being. But, if you're happy with your RC52, then get the RB61's.

Thank you for your suggestion.

BUt here is the next trick to it:

My RS-52's are about 6,5 ft above the ground. Should the RB-61's be the same but tilted downwards? Beacuse after what I read somewhere here is that the rears might be too screamy when they are about only 0,5 ft behind the sofa.

I looked at that one and I understand the positioning of the speaker in which angle like 60 degrees. Thank you for that input.[:)]

BUt what about heights? The RB-61 is bookshelfs speakers and do not have anything in the back to hook up on the wall like the RS-52's.

The Sofa/loveseat is only 1 ft from the rear wall. Wouldnt the RB-61's be too screamy? [^o)]

Thank you Inventor for your input.

That is what I'm afraid of. Please come back here and tell me about your experience when you have swapped to the RS-52's

I wont buy anything yet until maybe the end of February, but I do my research now. It is very hard to put my speakers correct because of the very small room I have.

I have a 7.1 system and I prefer the wide dispersion surrounds all around, the effects sound great and do not have a pin point location. I have had direct firing surrounds before and prefer this setup.

Here is my setup a rough diagram not exactly to scale. The room is small about the same width as yours but a little more depth.

Posted Image

Thank you Rich_guy!

I can see you have similar problem - being big in a small room! Yeah, you gotta be creative.

I really appreciate your answer as well especially you had the experience and provided sample of what you have now - been there done that sort of speak.

I really love my RS-52's on the side, they give so much depth in sound then my previous direct-firing ones.

Anyone else that also have input.

Thanks a million folks. Trust me. every answer here I'm excited about. I constantly looking at this thread to get more input.

Hey, I have an idea... Why don't you buy my RS-62's and move your RS-52's for rear duty?[:D] If you like the RS-52's, you will love the 62's. Every drop of backround noise will be loud and clear. I will sell them to you for $650 and split the shipping. You are in Cali and I'm in Washington state, so shipping will be cheap enough. Just an idea... If your interested, send me an email or PM and I'll send you pictures.

Wow! hmmm..

But how will it be paid, never done deals like this before.

Sure sounds nice. But I'm not sure how it will be going together with the rest of the system as Klipsch recommend the RS-52' for the RF-82's

Thank you for the offer, I will think about it.

However, my Pioneer Elite VSX-01 THM stopped working and have been sent for repairs. Totally dead, no power whatsoever.

I wonder why this happened. I'm wondering if my klipsch speakers are too much for it.