Adding 1/4 " furniture grade plywood to older 3/4" MDF La scalas-can this be done?

Normo

I have read that the la scala II's were made of 1" thick plywood, as opposed to the earlier versions with 3/4" ply. I have read the the IIs sound deeper because of the stiffer cabinets. Is it feasible or reasonable to glue on furniture grade ply to help deaden the cabinet? It is a pretty beat up unfinished cabinet case. Also could or should this be done to the peaked angled piece in the base cabinet? If this is possible, any suggests on the right glue? Contact cement? Any suggestions. Thanks in advance. Norm

Norm,

The LSII is made from 1" MDF for the outer cabinet, with nice veneer covering it all.

There would not be much to gain by trying to put another 1/4" on the doghouse, as it is rigid enough. Plus, it would cut down on the size of the horn. It would be pretty hard to put a 1/4" skin over the rest of the cabinet, too. What might be the simplest method, would be to add cross braces in the mouth of the horn, as shown in the LS bass cabinet.

This would stop the sides resonance.

Bruce

post-7149-13819428619202_thumb.jpg

"It seems to be often overlooked but the LaScala II also has
a new crossover design (partly due to the improvement gained by the
thicker side panels) which I'm sure also is an important part of the
reason it has an improved tonal balance and clarity."

I suspect the wow factor is the crossover, not sure if it's an AL-4, but the AL-4 makes a standard lascala cab sound real good.