Novice questions- 2 ch music on Home Th setup

winchester21

My home theater setup sounds great with DVDs or HD Direct TV. Playing CDs in the 2 channel mode is OK but not great. I am considering several options and I have questions. My knowledge is limited in this area. Any comments would be appreciated.

I am using a new Sony DA4300ES as a preamp and video processor. All of the speakers are driven by external amps- Carver, HK870, and BK EX4420. I am presently using RF 3 fronts which are 8 yrs old. They will be replaced by RF83s in Jan. I am using an older klipsch center which will be replaced by an RC64 in Jan. I am using a Carver 3channel 250 WPC A753X to power the 2 fronts and the center. It is 7 years old but like new with little use. My sub is an older Definitive 15" 370 watt from the mid 90s. I will be replacing it with a RT 10 or 12 in Jan.

What sound mode on the Sony should I be using for 2 channel cd listening? 2 ch Cd mode or one of the jazz club or small house settings. Should I be using the sub- not getting much bass response without it? Adcom CD player.

Are the RF83s considered decent for music applications? I am also considering buying an additional pair of Klipshorns or Belles or Cornwalls just for music. Should these be hooked up as a second zone on the receiver with their own amp? I perviously had a separate setup for music but that is no longer practical. My room is 24' x 13'. 9 foot ceiling. Sorry for the rookie questions. I figure that this is the best place to ask. Thanks in advance

Sounds like a good rig to me.

If you're going to RF83's in January of '09 (Yes, they are quite decent for music!), I wouldn't worry about the RF3 setup now. The 83's shouldn't need the sub for music, but depending on your room acoustics and setup, they may sound better with it. I don't know if the Sony even allows you to use the sub in 2-channel mode. Some AV receivers don't. And as for mode, my first inclination would be straight up 2-channel, with no dsp, but like the sub/no sub question, your system may sound better with DPL-II Music or some other music mode that adds some ambience without screwing up the fronts. It all depends on the room, the set-up and your personal preference. There ain't no right or wrong here!

If this were me - having only one room for a do-it-all 2 channel/HT system - I would cancel the January planned purchases, sell the remaining Reference, and consider doing this room in Heritage. Think something like Klipschorn front with Belle or Cornwall center, in the rears think Cornwalls or Heresy. Heritage speakers would offer the best in both 2 channel AND HT performance - and would be an upgrade proof system that you could listen to until you are dead.

If you installed Klipschorns, you might well do without a sub for a while.....and if you DID need one, we could figure that one out later.

Then if you REALLY want to get creative and "2 channel it up", you could add a simple linestage tube preamp (like the Peach) to get the oh-so-yummy goodness of tubes for music, while still using your current lineup of electronics for everything else....all with a convenient flip of the switch.

LOTS to dream about here. For an idea of how I think, see my profile. This is Klipsch - think BIG[:D]

I agree with audible nectar, my HTR consisted of a 7.1 system based on the RF83/RC64/RS62/RT12D/RF. 5 months ago, while browsing my local craiglists, I found a Pair of HeresyII for $350. When I first hooked them up as a replacement for the RF-83, I was actually surprised that the Heresy sounded much better for 2-channel music than the RF-83. The only depeartment where the RF-83 was better than the Heresy was in the low frequency.

Surprised by the 2 channel reproduction of the Heresy, 2 weeks ago I bought a 1977 pair of KlipschHorns, upgraded the crossover and used them as the Front replacement for the RF83. It is a huge leap in sound specially for 2-channel music.

I'm facing the same dilemna as you do. Although I can put the Khorns in my family round and used them for the sole purpose of 2-channel music playback, but I used my HTR room more, and want to keep just a single room capable of both HTR and 2 channel music.

The RF83 sounded good for 2-channel, and excellent for movie playback, but they lack mid range which is the most important aspect of 2-channel music.

WhenI I first brought the Khorns home, I started palying a few songs that I regularly listened to, I heard notes that the RF-83 failed to reproduce due to lack of mid range. I now have the RF 83 in the storage, I will put forsale soon in order to buy a single Lascala or belle for center.

I will use the Heresy for Back sourrounds. and keep the RS62 as side sourround for now.

Thanks for the input. This really has me thinking. The idea of a upgrade proof Heritage based system appeals to me if I am wiling to completely rip apart and redo the listening area and sneak cash out of the bank account and risk domestic peril. i am going to go ahead and finish the RF83/RC64 deal and then start looking for some klipschorns on the used market after research them so I know what I am doing. Based on comments in the sub section I most likely will not buy the RT10 or the 12. The main issue with this idea of a Heritage system is the size of the center channel speaker. I barely have enough room for the RC64 as it stands at present.

Just an FYI- the technical people at Klipsch told me that I could buy the klipschorns and use the existing reference stuff and that it would sound fine. They also told me that they were considering the development of some heritage surround rears to go with the existing product line. personaly- I dont think the reference stuff would mix well with the heritage.