Dipoles rear placement - does this make sense?

Jocke

not yet. he is comming over this saturday. i spoke to klipsch
about this issue and i got mixed results. some of the tech guys say rb
others say rs. they weren't just guessing either, thats how they set
up their home system. after the discussion i started to figure out
which one may be better depending on your room set up. from what i
understand if your back is very close to the rear wall, and and speaker
is very close in a angled dimension, the rs speaker may work a little
better. what i was told was since it is close you will be able to hear
a localized sound but the little sounds will fill the room more. i am
very excited to see if that information is correct regarding my room.
the back of my couch is 30" from the back wall and the speakers are
4.5' angled measured from my head, so very close.

heres a 3d
pic of my room. from it you can see how close those massive rb
speakers are. the room is to scale. the black lines are the walls.
on the left side the missing black line is the entrence to the living
room and on the rh side is a door to the patio. i added it just so you
can get a feel for what my room looks like with the equipement.

i will let you know saturday the results we find out.

post-23806-13819437167466_thumb.jpg

i know. thats the ONLY place i can put them. what the drawing doesn't show is on the left side of the drawing there is a half wall and collum. that collum is only 11" wide. on the right side of the wall there are 3 windows and that door. i only have 9" between each window. if you also notice the speakers are not directly across from each other too. the other problem i run into is on the right wall, if i were to move that speaker over 3' there is no room for the speaker tubes. before the drywall went up i looked, there are 3 2x4's all nailed together between the first two windows. so no matter what i do, i am screwed....

spoke to klipsch about it, with those speakers it really doesn't matter that they are off. that's their design, to help correct problems like that. that is also why i went with the 7.1 so the rears can help them out. if i could idealy place the side surround i wouldn't have bought the 2 rear channels.

My sofa is even closer to the wall than yours and you think your RB sounds bad?

I guess it will sound even worse for me.

Anyway, I will still wait until I hear some info from you.

BTW, I was talking to one Home Theatre professional, he builds those Rich people's home theatre all the time, he also said that because I'm closer to the wall and I'm mostly watching movies I should go for the RS-52. He also told me that the new THX recievers also reconfigure/ re calibrate the crossover in the Dipoles if they are in the rear, not in the speaker itself, but it will sense what type you have and then set it up the proper way by sending the proper signal to the rear dipoles. So I shouldnt have any problems. I have a THX Select 2 PLUS receiver.

Bill,

thanks! i went to ITT Tech, got a huge debt, don't actually work in the AutoCad industry, and just use my skills to draw my HT, and others, in the Inventor program. once i post my HT in that tread you will see that it's exactly the same. everything in that drawing is true scale. it really helped when it came down to what actually fit in the room and where. it was how i drew up my et center (in Arch. section)

jocke,

i agree with the THX guy, i will say this, don't get the rs-52, get the rs-42. you are very close to it, and there is no difference between the two. i mean other than physical size, and the 52 is a little louder, but you can easily turn up the 42's to match. i spoke to steve at klipch tech today and talked about what i am going to do tomorrow. he agrees with what i was hoping i would hear, which is what your THX guy said. i am going to try out 3 different demos (direct sound effects, swirling sound effects, and a good mix of both. i plan on using the THX demo disk Pod race scene from Star Wars 1, the Jungle demo from the same disk, and Flight of the Phenix the sand storm scene).

as long as the 42's sound good i am going to change them out. not for sound reasons, but for looks. i don't like how far the 61's come into the room. i don't like when i look up at them (from the couch) they are almost even with my head. looks wise i think the 42's are a much better match for my room. i hope in the end they sound at least as good as the 61's.

i will let you know tomorrow.

Jocke,

well man found out quite a few things. i will list them all so maybe someone else can read it and get the info they need.

after all the issues with my system were worked out we began the tests.

we used the thx demo disk with the pod race scene, the jungle scene, and transformers, the battle with bumble bee and cop car (sorry forgot it's name).

with out question, the rs-52 out did the rb-61 in all areas. with the rs-52's, there seemed to be more of the movie. heard the effects sweep around us. the 61's it sounded like we could only hear effects that came straight across us. (meaning we only heard them from the rs-42). with sound effects that were direct, it sound good too. we heard where the shots came from and where they were going. the RS series speakers did everything we needed it to do. it seemed like through all the demos the 61's were not even on. you only were able to hear them speratically through the demo. i am a little sad that the rs-52's had to go back to the owner.....

heres my finial opinion: if you (your back, couch, seating position) is LESS than 4 FEET from the rear wall you may want to purchase the RS series speaker first and try it out. if you are GREATER than 4 FEET you may want to try out the RB series speaker first.

some other things we found out:

a shielded power cable makes a huge difference to your basic tv. the colors are deeper and your picture will much clearer. it was a night a day difference.

a shielded power cable for you amp will make a difference with your amp as compared to a standard power cord. we noticed a much higher tone and clairity. the entire playback was a bit clearer. heres the catch, i wouldn't spend more than $50 on a cord. if you can't get one for that or less, it's not worth the money. it was better with the shieled cord, but i wouldn't say you couldn't live with out it.

we (or we think we) heard a difference between the oyide 037 and 079 connectors. i thought the 037 was a little higher in tone than the 079. it was really hard to say with out doing a blind test about 10-20 times. when you change things that you know you are changing, sometimes you hear what you want to hear. i would say this, buy either one you want, you will be happy with them.

a shielded power cable for my sub made no difference than the standard power cord. that also takes into consideration that my sub is on the other side of the room and the power cord is isolated from everything else. i didn't feel like lugging around my 80lb sub to the front of the room to prove this either. in my set up it made no difference.

so there you go. i hope this helps your decision on what you will buy first. i would also only but the rs-42's if they are going into a living room, especally since you will be close to them on the rear wall.

u know, i am not all that sad the 52's went back home because Falcon, "Master of Deals", found me a pair of rs-42's minutes after he left my house. the man must have a GPS in his head set for klipsch deals.

can't wait to pick them up. i am going to have to rewatch many of my favorits movies. that includes the Pod race. i know i was a little sick of it saturday, but i have been missing half the movie since i set up all this new gear.

THANK YOU INVENTOR!!!!

I REALLY appreciate what you did.

I will get a pair of RS-52 because I want to match everything and they are far above the head too and you never know if I will move soon.

The responses that I got from everyone is exactly what I need. Thanks a million. I learned a lot and I will follow advice.

If I now only can get my Pioneer Elite back home from repairs..its been 5 weeks now and I'm quite miserable about it.

Thanks

no problem man, it was fun. Falcon aleady scored me a pair of 42's, once i have them in hand i am going to see if there is a difference with the speakers are 4' compared to where they sit now, 5'.

it really was eye opening to have a set up done and think everything sounds just fine, then you put a different speaker in the mix, and it was like we were getting twice the movie.

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...