getting ready to buy.... opions?

cwilson

hey all,

first post here, and let me just say i am new to Klipsch porducts but LOVE the sound. but lets not waste any time and get to the fun part [:D]

room info:

12' X 19' (family/dining room in my apartment)

unfortunately, beause of room layout/furniture, i really dont have a way to hook up surrounds for 5.1 or 7.1 (i rent, so i cant cut holes in walls either)

the only thing ive already bought is an RC-52, which i am very pleased with. my current TV is a 26in Sharp LCD with no component video, but no HDMI. i know a few of you will grind their teeth over this, but i dont intend on replacing it any time soon. its good for the room size, and im honestly so much more into the audio aspect. i narrowed down my choices on new stuff, so now comes the opinions and advice

mains: RF-52's or RF-62's. i heard both, and i know the 62's have dual ports and bigger woofers, but i dont really think the extra cash is worth. my room is rather smal, and i have have neighbors to the left, right, and above

receiver: Sony STR-DG820or Denon AVR-689 a supplier for my company carries limited Denon products, and the 689 is $325 from them. bhphotovideo has the 820 for $295

DVD: Sony DVP-NC800H or Denon DVD-588. both have HDMI, Sony is 1080p upscaling. anyone know about the Denon? (again, similarly priced for me)

CD Player: Sony SCD-CE595 or Denon DCM-29. Both are 5-disc, but the Sony is also an SACD player (but ill admit i own no SACD's)

Subwoofer: most likey the RW-10d. i would love to get the12d, but thats a big price difference, and as it is, everything is already at the top of my budget

my main goal is to get equipment that i can be happy with for the next 5-7+ years. i dont want to replace anything any time soon

the good new is all of my current equipment works OK, but there are a few things lacking:

-receiver is non-screw-down speaker connects (sorry for the lack of proper terms), no HDMI, only 5.1, no bi-amp, no front input

-cd player wont play all burned CD', takes it's sweet time on others

-dvd player is single disc (which is why im leanign away from the denon), no HDMI

so i gueas what im aksing is... is the Denon worth the extra bills? im not 100% sure if i can get a multi-disc DVD (or any CD player) from them

im not trying to sound cheap, but price is a big factor here

also, two other things: im a total label-freak, so i would really like ot have all matching equipment. i know its silly, but thats just how i am. and the system will be used mostly for music.

comments/concerns/opinions/advice (positive, negaive, and blunt) are all welcomed

sorry for the wordy post, i just figured i should get all the basics out of the way. ill be happy to answer any questions. thanks!

Welcome to the forum,

HDMI should no be a concern with what you are trying to do.
The TV does not have the input for it so you won't get a better picture even if the receiver had it. You don't have a 5.1 system or a blu ray player either, It would be useless to spend the money to upgrade to HDMI or SACD for that matter. Using an optical cable will do just fine

I do not know the DVD and CD models you mentioned but it might be better to look into a 5 disk charger dvd player.

Concerning the sub, it is a hard choice because of the neighbors, the rw 10 might be all you can get without getting everybody mad at you. This is probably true for the speakers as well

Welcome to the forum.

Mains: Since you already have the RC-52 then the front speakers should be the RF-52. They are the speakers that will timber match your existing center channel and that is what you want for the front three speakers.

Receiver: Well, I first started off with a Sony receiver and then moved into separates. The receiver sounded good but after the switch was a huge improvement. If you like the Sony then go for it, only you can be the judge of what sounds good to YOU.

DVD & CD Player: Like stated above, why not just get a 5-disc DVD and then you don't need a cd player. Once again I had a Sony 5-disc player and was happy with it. I just recently upgraded to an Oppo, which is only a single disc player, but it plays everything.

Sub: You might want to keep an eye out for the Sub-12. I know it was on sale last month and people on here love it with their setup. It should fit in nicely with your current condition, neighbors.

Above all you have to be happy with it and remember, once you get bit it's hard not to upgrade.... [;)]

James

I bought my RW10 years ago when I was still in an apartment. And to say the least; my neighbors HATED IT!!! They would pound on the walls and even come over to ask me to turn it down. One neighbor told me if she ever has to come over to ask me to turn it down again, she was calling the cops. Needless to say, that was my last apartment..............

Welcome to the forums!

As has been stated before, buying both a DVD player and a CD player is an unneccesary expense--especially if you don't own any SACD's.

Are you planning on living in the same place, or at least the same approximate size place for the next 5-7 years? If so, I'd question whether the RF series is possibly even too large for that size room. You might want to consider a pair of RB-51's or RB-61's (bookshelf speakers) instead. That would save you some money as well. [;)] Of course, others here are far more knowledgeable than I.

In any event, I hope you enjoy your purchase, and avoid too much negative neighbor faction! [:P]

thanks for the replys everybody! i guess thats a really good point about not needing both a dvd and cd player. man, this forum is great. saving me money already!

in response to falcon, i guess i worded my first post wrong. when i said i wasnt replacing the tv 'anytime soon' i meant not with this big upgrade. my goal here is to be able to replace any single component/piece of my system, and not be forced to upgrade others to make everything work to its full potential. so although my tv now does not have HDMI, i would like to get a receiver/dvd player that does, so when i do get a new tv, im not SOL

and james, although that is entirely true, my room is small. the 62's would be the biggest i could go without looking silly. and that's a single, 22 year old guy's idea of silly. plus, my other main hobby is aquariums, and thats a never-ending hobby, so all my money will go straight back to that haha [;)]

i have a few questions about the fronts. first off, im sorry, but please explain timber a bit more. ive tried to figure it out from other posts, and hte best i can come up with is the "design" of the speaker... and although the RC-52 is supposed to match the RF-52's, the RC-62 is matched to both the RF-62's and the RF-82's. seeing as thats a lager front increase, i figured since this will be used constantly for music, i would be ok going up a size for the fronts. but i do liek the RF-52's a lot, so ill probably stick with those. also, what about the bookshelfs? although i like the floorstanders (sorry, i know this makes me sound like im five, but their big and thats cool), but is the as solid sound in the bookshelfs? and would i be ok getting the RB-62's? the RB-52's seem like they might be a little small. my current sub is a 100W sony, which will be the LAST thing i upgrade, so i would like to have nice strong sound without needing a sub.

and one final thought: i want to have strong 2-channel sound. having the 52's match the 52's is a good point, which i kind of knew in the bakc of my mind, i just wanted a few more opinions before i buy something i regret. but anyway, what im trying to ask is can i get some nice, full sound by bi-amping my RF-52's instead of just getting the 62's. the sony 820 is 110W per channel in stereo. would runnign 220W through them be an ok limit? i know Klipsch says the handle 400W, but i just want to make sure

thanks again for all the info and advice! sorry, im kind of new at this. ive always that home theater/home audio is cool, but im just now at the financial and logical point in my life where i can really start to get some solid equipment. just an FYI, im replacing some old Sony floorstanders, a pair of SS-MF400H's. and although their not amazing by any means, i did get them in 8th grade with my lawn mowing and confirmation money, so at the time they were the coolest thing i could ever ask for. i figure since that was... about 8 years ago, i can stop keeping them on the sole fact that i bought them myself at such a young age haha

I wouldn't worry about buying speakers that are "too big" for a particular room. The main thing, in my opinion anyway, is buy the best speakers you can afford, regardless of size. And hopefully you wont' be in an apartment forever, and won't want to upgrade AS BAD as some of us when you get a bigger place.

hopefully i get this right. ill try to post a pic of my current family room. in this pic the tower are VERY close together, but that was right after i moved around my furniture, but it was before i moved the speakers. after measuring and drawing things out, im sorry to say that my fronts will onyl be able to be about 6 1/2ft apart. you can BARELY see the sub that is next to the lamp on the right, on the other side of the lovesac. i moved the sub to the other side of the TV, by the stools, under the 'college' picture. just thought since i could give a visual, it wouldnt hurt. one thing ive been wondering is if i get the RF-52's, they could be (centered with the tv) with the right speaker in front of that outlet on the right, and the left the same distance, and then the sub would just get pushed over farther

so, any other thoughts? and again, any thoughts on just picking up the RF-52's and bi-amping? can you bi-amp the bookshelfs?

forumsn565718593_1716515_1911.jpg

I have the RF 62s and love them. I actually thought about getting the RF 82s, but the difference isnt worth the money. The RF 63s or RF83s would be worth the extra cash.

On a second note, I have a RW10d new for sale if you are interested. I also have some RS 42s for sale. I have original boxes for the 42s and original receipt for the RW10d.

I will split shipping with you on anything you want. sorry to jack your thread.